Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Recessions Work
- Recession Quiz
- Recession Image Gallery
- Credit Score Quiz
- How can mortgage-backed securities bring down the U.S. economy?
- How the Fed Works
- Why does the Fed change the interest rate?
- How Mortgages Work
- Can the government control a stock market crash?
- What's the difference between a recession and a depression?
More Great Links
- Biggadike, Oliver and Harrington, Shannon D. "Fannie, Freddie credit-default swaps may be settled (update 3)." Bloomberg. September 8, 2008. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ajsxbVS.W2lQ&refer=home
- Brown, Dr. Ellen. "Credit default swaps: evolving financial meltdown and derivative disaster du jour." Global Research. April 11, 2008. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8634
- Desai, Umesh. "AIG rescue a relief for CDS, but market to shrink." Reuters. September 17, 2008. http://www.forbes.com/reuters/feeds/reuters/2008/09/17/2008-09-17T094434Z_01_HKG43348_RTRIDST_0_FINANCIAL-CDS-ASIA-CREDIT.html
- Frefield, Karen and Harrington, Shannon D. "Cuomo investigates credit-default swaps along with short sales." September 27, 2008. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a2yIpbuIgurg&refer=home
- Morgenson, Gretchen. "Arcane market is next to face big credit test." New York Times. February 17, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/business/17swap.html
- Morrissey, Janet. "Credit default swaps: The next crisis?" Time. March 17, 2008. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1723152,00.htm
- Saulwick, Jacob. "Credit 'event' triggers trillion-dollar debt upheaval." Sidney Morning Herald. September 10, 2008. http://business.smh.com.au/business/credit-event-triggers-trilliondollar-debt-upheaval- 20080909-4cyq.html
- "Credit default swaps." Investopedia. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/creditdefaultswap.asp
- "Notional amounts outstanding, semiannual data, all surveyed contracts, 1987-present." International Swaps and Derivatives Association. 2008. http://www.isda.org/statistics/pdf/ISDA-Market-Survey-historical-data.pdf
- "United States." CIA World Factbook. September 4, 2008. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html#Econ