IBM's Tech Support for the Holocaust
While most American companies withdrew trade with Germany during World War II, a few, Coca-Cola, Ford and IBM among them, chose to ignore trade restrictions imposed by the federal government and continued doing business with the Third Reich.
Thomas Watson, the founder of IBM, has long been known to have allowed his company to sell early punch card computers to Nazi Germany. Indeed, in 1937, Watson received the highest honor the country could bestow upon non-Germans, the Grand Cross of the German Eagle [source: Maney]. The company's German subsidiary, Dehomag, leased the IBM Hollerith punch card machines to the ruling Nazi party before and during the war.
In the months leading to World War II, citizens were cataloged using these cards; eventually, these catalogs were used to identify individuals based on their race, religion and sexual preference. These selections became the basis for the annihilation of millions of people during the Holocaust. Eventually, IBM computers came to be used in death camps like Auschwitz to systematically track the arrival, detention and death of Jews, Roma and other groups.
IBM admits that the company's computers were used to carry out the logistics of the Holocaust, but denies awareness of this use at the time [source: Festa].
- Barrionuevo, Alexi. "Enron's Skilling is sentenced to 24 years." New York Times. October 24, 2006. Accessed Nov. 11, 2010.http://www.citizen.org/documents/corporateabusetax.pdf
- Black, Edwin. "IBM and the Holocaust." Accessed Nov. 11, 2010. http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/home.php
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek. "The Skilling trap." June 12, 2006. (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_24/b3988058.htm
- Chatterjee, Pratap. "Halliburton hearing unearths new abuse." CorpWatch. June 27, 2005. (Nov. 11, 2010)http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12476
- Considine, Austin. "WellPoint: More evil than we thought." Nuvo. April 23, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.nuvo.net/NewsBlog/archives/2010/04/23/wellpoint-even-more-evil-than-we-thought
- Democracy Now. "Yes Men hoax on BBC reminds world of Dow Chemical's refusal to take responsibility for Bhopal disaster." December 6, 2004. (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.democracynow.org/2004/12/6/yes_men_hoax_on_bbc_reminds
- ESharp! Magazine. "You have the power to stop more children being born malformed. Will you use it?" August 2009. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://bhopal.org/index.php?id=156
- Festa, Paul. "Probing IBM's Nazi connection." CNET. June 28, 2001. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://news.cnet.com/2009-1082-269157.html
- Global Compact Critics. "Ban Ki-moon urged to remove Brazilian ranchers from Global Compact." March 29, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://globalcompactcritics.blogspot.com/2010/03/ban-ki-moon-urged-to-remove-brazilian.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GlobalCompactCritics+(Global+Compact+Critics)
- Grevatt, Martha. "The Ford hunger march of 1932." Worker's World. March 25, 2009. (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.workers.org/2009/us/ford_hunger_march_0402/
- Hare, Bill. "CIA, United Fruit Company and overthrow of Guatemala's democracy." OpedNews. June 23, 2009. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.opednews.com/populum/diarypage.php?did=13580
- JMR Portfolio Intelligence. "Roche Holdings: They save shareholders not people." Risk and Responsibility. October 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://jmrportfolio.com/october-2010/44-roche.html
- Long, Tony. "Dec. 3, 1984: Bhopal, 'worst industrial accident in history'." Wired. December 3, 2008. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/12/dayintech_1203
- Maney, Kevin. "The Maverick and his Machine." Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. 2003. http://books.google.com/books?id=uljGzJu2tuAC
- Miller, George. "Everyday low wages: the hidden price we all pay for Wal-Mart." February 16, 2004. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/2004/Wal-Mart-Labor-Record16feb04.htm
- Mokhiber, Russell and Weissman, Robert. "Overthrow; a hallmark of U.S. foreign policy." Final Call.com News. June 21, 2006. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2703.shtml
- Multinational Monitor. "The 10 worst corporations of 2008." December 29, 2008. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.multinationalmonitor.org/editorsblog/index.php?/archives/105-The-10-Worst-Corporations-of-2008.html#extended
- Nocera, Joe. "A Wall Street invention let the crisis mutate." New York Times. April 16, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/business/17nocera.html?pagewanted=1&sq=goldman%20abacus%20$90%20million&st=cse&scp=2
- Politifact.com. "Chris Matthews says Cheney got $34 million payday from Halliburton." St. Petersburg Times. May 24, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/may/24/chris-matthews/chris-matthews-says-cheney-got-34-million-payday-h/
- Public Citizen. "Corporate fraud and abuse taxes." Congress Watch. September 10, 2002. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.citizen.org/documents/corporateabusetax.pdf
- Russell, Nancy. "Henry Ford: American anti-Semitism and the class struggle." World Socialist Web Site. April 18, 2003. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/apr2003/ford-a18.shtml
- Sebelius, Kathleen. Letter to Angela Braly. April 22, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.politico.com/static/PPM130_a_braly_wellpoint_4_22_2010_(2).html
- Spartacus Educational. "Jacobo Arbenz." (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKarbenz.htm
- Survival. "Uncontacted tribe's forest bulldozed for beef." November 9, 2009. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/5212
- Third World Traveler. "U.S. foreign policy in Guatemala." (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/US_ThirdWorld/US_Guat.html
- Towns, Edolphus. "Value of Halliburton troop support contract continues to increase." (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://oversight.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2422&catid=44:legislation
- Union Carbide. "Bhopal Information Center." (Nov. 11, 2010.)
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union. "Wal-Mart quick facts." (Nov. 11, 2010.) http://www.ufcw.org/take_action/walmart_workers_campaign_info/facts_and_figures/walmartgeneralinfo.cfm
- Weaver, Christopher. "Health insurance rate-hike ruling could echo outside Maine." NPR. April 23, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2010.)http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/04/maine_decision_in_standoff_ove.html
HowStuffWorks explains what Small Business Saturday is and whether it really helps small businesses.