5 Things You Must Bring to Your Tax Preparer’s Office

Payment Method

April 15 is not the only day of the year that Americans pay taxes. If you're a wage or salaried employee, then a portion of your earnings are withheld every pay period to cover federal income tax, state and local taxes, and Social Security and Medicare contributions. In fact, when tax day rolls around, 77 percent of American taxpayers (111 million people) get a refund [source: Internal Revenue Service]. After all of the deductions, exemptions and credits are added up, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has to pay them back some of the money it withheld during the year.

If you're one of those lucky 111 million, you might want to bring your bank account information with you to the tax preparer's office. Instead of mailing you a check, the IRS can refund your money as a direct deposit to your bank account. All of the necessary information -- bank name, routing number and account number -- can be found on one of your checks.

If you belong to the other 23 percent of taxpayers who owe money to the IRS on April 15, then you should come prepared to make a payment. The IRS is happy to accept your tax payment in whatever form is most convenient: check or money order, credit card, or a direct debit from your bank account [source: Internal Revenue Service]. Remember that if you are married and filing jointly, you will need to bring your spouse to the tax preparer's office, too, because he or she will need to co-sign the tax return before mailing it off to the IRS.

For lots more information on tax returns, refunds and the IRS, see the links on the next page.

More to Explore