Lots More Information
Paying for housing takes up a huge portion of your paycheck. HowStuffWorks Now looks at the place taking the biggest bite.
Author's Note: 10 Ways to Make Extra Money from Home
Having worked in newsrooms, corporate environments and a home office, I'd have to say my home office wins -- hands down. (I do have to admit newsrooms are pretty entertaining, though.) The best part of working at home is the productivity. I discovered, early on, that what used to require a week's worth of work in an office took only three days at home. And this left time to take on more work that I enjoy. I've run across reports of telecommuters getting more done for less money, and I understand the attraction. When you don't have to extend a large portion of your pay to wardrobe updates, vehicle maintenance, fuel and lunches with co-workers, there is more to go around. -- LD
More Great Links
- Adams, Alice. "My Journey as a Legal Nurse Consultant." (Nov. 16, 2012) Nurse Together. http://www.nursetogether.com/Career/Career-Article/itemId/2933/My-Journey-as-a-Legal-Nurse-Consultant.aspx
- Avon. "The Avon Lady through the Years." (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.avoncompany.com/aboutavon/history/avonlady.html.
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics. "Occupational and Employment Statistics." (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes273043.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Work-at-Home Patterns by Occupation." (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/opub/ils/pdf/opbils72.pdf.
- Direct Selling Association. "FAQs" (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.dsa.org/about/faq/
- EduChoices. "Average Salary of an Online Professor." Sept. 3, 2009. (Nov. 16, 2012). http://educhoices.org/articles/Online_Professor_Average_Salary_of_an_Online_Professor.html
- Ezarik, Melissa. "10 Best (and Real) Work-at-Home Jobs." (Oct. 6, 2011). http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107428/10-best-and-real-work-at-home-jobs.html?mod=career-leadership.
- Goudreau, Jenna. "Best-Paying Work at Home Jobs." Forbes. Sept. 27, 2011 (Nov. 16, 2012). http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2011/09/27/the-best-paying-work-at-home-jobs/
- Federal Trade Commission. "Work-at-Home Schemes." (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/invest/inv14.shtm.
- Internal Revenue Service. "Business Taxes." (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98966,00.html.
- Lesonsky, Rieva. "Making Money Cooking at Home." Entrepreneur.com. May 14, 2001. (Oct. 6, 2011.) http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/40490.
- Mann, Sarah. "Addressing the Physician Shortage Under Reform." April 2011. (Nov. 16, 2012) Association of American Medical Colleges. https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/april11/184178/addressing_the_physician_shortage_under_reform.html
- Medscape. "Medscape Radiologist Compensation Report: 2012 Results." (Nov. 16, 2012) http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/radiology
- Monster. "Seasonal Tax Preparation Jobs." (Nov. 16, 2012) http://ledgerlink.monster.com/benefits/articles/69-seasonal-tax-preparation-jobs#comment_form
- Public Health Department, Seattle and King County, Wash. "How to start a catering or home-based food business." (Oct. 6, 2011) Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association. "Home-Based Business Insurance." http://www.rmiia.org/business/home_business_insurance.asp.
- U.S. Census Bureau. "Census Bureau Report Shows Steady Increase in Home-Based Workers Since 1999." (Nov. 16, 2012) http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/employment_occupations/cb12-188.html
- U.S. Census Bureau. "Profile America Facts for Features." (Nov. 16, 2012) http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/cb10-ff15.html
- U.S. Department of Labor. "Software Developers." (Nov. 16, 2012) http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Computer-and-Information-Technology/Software-developers.htm
- U.S. Department of Labor. "Tax Preparers." (Nov. 16, 2012) http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132082.htm
- U.S. Small Business Administration. "Business Structure and Tax Implications." (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.sba.gov/content/business-structure-and-tax-implications.
- U.S. Small Business Administration. "Register your fictitious or 'doing business as' (DBA) name. (Oct. 6, 2011) http://www.sba.gov/content/register-your-fictitious-or-doing-business-dba-name.