These days it seems that just about everyone is a consultant: doctors, marketers, mathematicians, bankers; even the ever-present, always nebulous management consultants seem to have outnumbered the persons they actually consult. The term consulting simply means to provide advice in a certain area in which a person has expertise. Retirees have years of skills and experience that can benefit people, companies and even entire industries around the globe, and they might as well get paid for it.
In 2011, the global consulting industry is expected to generate roughly $366 billion in revenues [source: Plunkett Research]. Like tutoring, blogging and a number of other retirement jobs, the beauty of consulting is that retirees can do what they did before they retired, but on a much more flexible schedule. While anyone can start a consulting business, if you have an existing business, you also have the benefit of a built-in client base.
These are just some of the post-retirement business opportunities available for couples. Check out the links below for more information.
- AARP. "Great Jobs for Retired Teachers." May 3, 2011. (May 31, 2011)http://www.aarp.org/work/working-after-retirement/info-04-2011/jobs-for-retired-teachers.html
- eJury. "Learn About eJury and eJurors." (May 31, 2011)http://www.ejury.com/jurors_learn_about.html
- Hoovers. "Catering Services." (May 31, 2011)http://www.hoovers.com/industry/catering-services/1832-1.html
- National Association of Professional Pet Sitters. "For Pet Owners." (May 31, 2011)http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm?section=PetOwners
- Pension Rights Center. "The Retirement Income Deficit." (May 31, 2011)http://www.retirement-usa.org/retirement-income-deficit-0
- Recreation Vehicle Industry Association. "RV Quick Facts." (May 31, 2011)http://www.rvia.org/Content/NavigationMenu/RVFactsNews/FAQs/default.htm
- The National Park Service. "Temporary and Seasonal Jobs with the National Park Service." Oct. 13, 2009. (May 31, 2011)http://www.nps.gov/personnel/seasonal.htm
- Plunkett Research Ltd. "Consulting Industry Overview." (May 31, 2011)http://www.plunkettresearch.com/consulting%20market%20research/industry%20statistics
- The Professional Association of Innkeepers International. "The B&B Industry." (May 31, 2011)http://www.innkeeping.org/?The_Industry
- U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers." Sept. 15, 2010. (May 31, 2011)http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos022.htm
- U.S. Internal Revenue Service. "New Return Preparer Regulations - Overview." May 6, 2011. (May 31, 2011)http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/article/0,,id=221009,00.html
HowStuffWorks Now looks at a new twist in the sharing economy: renting your home for office space.