NFDM Housing Counseling and Other Services
The NFDM offers services to help consumers of all ages learn the basics of homeownership and personal finance. These programs are approved by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
If you've always dreamed of owning your own home, but are unsure of how to buy a home and how much owning a home really costs, consider a class with the NFDM. The NFDM's classes explain the mortgage process and the different costs of home ownership, like insurance and maintenance. Their programs walk you through the steps of how to be approved for a market-rate mortgage. They'll explain the different types of loans available and help you decide what kind of loan is right for your situation. If you qualify, they'll help you get down payment assistance.
The NFDM offers two series of seminars for hopeful homebuyers. The Homebuyer's Express is designed for people who are close to buying a home. For example, Maria and Manny have $20,000 saved for a down payment, steady jobs and good credit. They are not sure how much of a mortgage they should apply for and how to apply for a mortgage. NFDM will help this couple determine how much of a mortgage they can afford and which type of mortgage works for their situation.
The Homebuyer's Club was created for people who have more preparation to do before they are able to buy a home. For example, Jake and Brittany just got married and are struggling with $12,000 of debt and low credit scores. Their dream is to buy a house where they can start a family. NFDM will help Jake and Brittany put their finances in order to improve their credit score and save for a down payment.
NFDM also provides counseling to help new homeowners manage and maintain their new home, and to help homeowners who are facing foreclosure.
For more information on credit and debt management, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Debtleap.com. "National Foundation for Debt Help" http://www.debtleap.com/debt-articles/debt-management-help.htm (Accessed 5/21/08)
- Federal Trade Commission. "Facts for Consumers: Knee Deep in Debt." http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/kneedeep.shtm
- National Foundation for Debt Management. "Debt Management Programs." http://www.nfdm.org/debtmanagementprograms.html (Accessed 5/21/08)
- National Foundation for Debt Management. "Programs Overview." http://www.nfdm.org/overview.html (Accessed 5/21/08)
- National Foundation for Debt Management. "What We Do." http://www.nfdm.org/whatwedo.html (Accessed 5/21/08)