Talk to some people who are doing the job you're after. There's often a big difference between the career you fantasize about and the day-to-day reality of turning a hobby into a full-time gig. If you love antiquing, you might dream of opening an antique shop of your own. Remember, though, it's not all about scouting out great finds. You have to deal with taxes, accounting and business licenses. For many people, it's worth sorting through the more mundane details in order to do what you love, but make sure you don't take the plunge with stars in your eyes.
This is another case where the informational interview can be a big help. Ask about the day-to-day responsibilities of the job you want and what it's like to work at that particular company. Few jobs are as fun in practice as they seem to an outsider, and getting a clear picture of your potential new work environment can help you ensure that you don't end up disappointed.
For more career articles, check out the links below.
- Ancowitz, Nancy. "Expand Your Network and Land Your Dream Job." Psychology Today. July 10, 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/self-promotion-introverts/201107/expand-your-network-and-land-your-dream-job
- Grimm, Joe. "How LinkedIn Signal helps find jobs and stories." Poytner. Feb. 14, 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.poynter.org/how-tos/career-development/ask-the-recruiter/117650/draft-210-how-linkedin-sognal-helps-find-jobs-and-stories/
- Needleman, Sarah E. "How to Land That Dream Job When You Lack Certain Skills." Yahoo! Finance. May 25, 2007. (July 13, 2011) http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/103063/How-to-Land-That-Dream-Job-When-You-Lack-Certain-Skills
- Simply Hired. "Writing a Targeted Cover Letter." May 10, 2010. (July 13, 2011) http://blog.simplyhired.com/2010/05/writing-a-targeted-cover-letter.html
- Trunk, Penelope. "Don't wait to land your dream job." The Boston Globe. March 16, 2008. (July 13, 2011) http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2008/03/16/dont_wait_to_land_your_dream_job
- University of Colorado Denver Career Center. "Resume/Cover Letter Writing." (July 13, 2011) http://www.ucdenver.edu/life/services/CareerCenter/JustAsk/Search/ResumeWriting/Pages/ResumesCoverLetters.aspx
- Wallick, S.H. "First Person: The Reality of Running a Home-Based Business." Yahoo! Finance. March 16, 2011. (July 14, 2011) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/First-Person-The-Reality-ac-4040729098.html?x=0
HowStuffWorks Now looks at a new twist in the sharing economy: renting your home for office space.