You spent four decades of your life working 60-hour weeks to fatten the coffers of some large corporation, and now your well-deserved retirement has finally arrived. But what if you find that four days of golf and three days of lawn and garden care don't provide the same mental stimulation as a long week at the office? Do you really have to go back to the soulless grind just to stave off boredom?
Of course not. Why not apply your strong managerial, financial, IT or development skills to help a non-profit organization? Non-profits come in all shapes and sizes, and chances are high that you can find an organization that matches your particular feel-good interest, like fighting poverty, supporting the arts or saving the environment. You won't earn as much as a non-profit management consultant, but you might find it both stimulating and satisfying.
For lots more information onfinancial planning, see the links below.
- Bankrate.com. "7 great jobs for not-quite-retirees" (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/RetireInStyle/7-great-jobs-for-not-quite-retirees.aspx
- Childers, Linda. Monster.com. "Job Opportunities Abound for Retired Nurses" (Accessed May 20, 2011.) http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/getting-started/jobs-for-retired-nurses/article.aspx
- Dobosz, John. Forbes.com. "Best Post-Retirement Paychecks." January 15, 2008 (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/15/retirement-careers-job-pf-retire-in_jd_0114retirement_inl.html
- Gandel, Cathy. AARP. "Oldest US Postal Worker Retires at 95." June 30, 2010 (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://www.aarp.org/work/work-life/info_06_2010/oldest_u_s_postalworkerretiresat95.html
- Hannon, Kerry. AARP. "5 Great Part-Time Jobs for Retirees." October 13, 2010 (Accessed May 19, 2011.) http://www.aarp.org/work/working-after-retirement/info-10-2010/5-great-part-time-jobs-for-retirees.4.html
- Hannon, Kerry. AARP. "5 Great Seasonal Jobs for Retirees." January 2011 (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://www.aarp.org/work/working-after-retirement/info-11-2010/5-great-seasonal-jobs-for-retirees.1.html
- IRS. "New Return Preparer Regulations -- Overview" (Accessed May 20, 2011.) http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/article/0,,id=221009,00.html
- Johnson, Tory. Good Morning America. "Best Jobs for Retirees." July 24, 2008 (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=5437675&page=1
- Lloyd, Janice. USA Today. "Substitute teaching applications surge." March 11, 2009 (Accessed May 19, 2011.) http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-03-10-substitute-teachers_N.htm
- Money Magazine. "100 best money moves you can make" (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/moneymag/1004/gallery.Money_100.moneymag/29.html
- The National Park Service. "Temporary and Seasonal Jobs with the National Park Service" (Accessed May 21, 2011.) http://www.nps.gov/personnel/seasonal.htm
- Salary.com. "Top Jobs for Retirees" (Accessed May 20, 2011.) http://www.salary.com/Articles/ArticleDetail.asp?tab=psn&cat=cat011&ser=ser032&part=par1181
- Williams, Alex. "That Hobby Looks Like a Lot of Work." The New York Times. December 16, 2009 (Accessed May 20, 2011.) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/fashion/17etsy.html
HowStuffWorks Now looks at a new twist in the sharing economy: renting your home for office space.