Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Hardship Exemption Works
I appreciate how the Affordable Care Act has brought down medical costs for millions of Americans. Once you peer into its inner workings though, you start to see what a half-measure it is, a cobbled patch job on a horribly dysfunctional system. It's frustrating seeing people saddled with massive medical debt or desperately raising funds for a critical procedure (and fearing that it could happen to me), despite the improvements the ACA has made.
- Cohen, Gary. "Guidance on Hardship Exemption Criteria and Special Enrollment Periods." Department of Health and Human Services, June 26, 2013. (Oct. 28, 2014) http://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Regulations-and-Guidance/Downloads/exemptions-guidance-6-26-2013.pdf
- Internal Revenue Service. "Individual Shared Responsibility Provision – Calculating the Payment." July 25, 2014 (Oct. 28, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/ACA-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision-Calculating-the-Payment
- Internal Revenue Service. "Individual Shared Responsibility Provision - Minimum Essential Coverage." April 2, 2014. (Oct. 28, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/ACA-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision-Minimum-Essential-Coverage
- Internal Revenue Service. "Questions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision." Oct. 1, 2014 (Oct. 28, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision
- Waxman, Henry A. "Coverage Denials for Pre-Existing Conditions in the Individual Health Insurance Market." Oct. 12, 2010 (Oct. 30, 2014). http://democrats.energycommerce.house.gov/Press_111/20101012/Memo.Pre-existing.Condition.Denials.Individual.Market.2010.10.12.pdf