Lots More Information
Author's Note: Does working from home make you less productive?
I'll admit that working from home has its drawbacks, but the benefits outweigh any real or perceived hardships. The biggest benefit is my lack of commute. As I said in the article, I once commuted three hours a day, by car, then train, sometimes by bus, to a job 40 miles away. On most days, it was OK, others not so much. I remember when the chemical toilets on the train backed up. I also remember that the air conditioning would go on the fritz in the summer. Not a pretty sight in either case. Hopefully, I will continue to make enough money to sustain myself. So, pile on the work. I have nothing but time, and that's really what telecommuting is all about.
- Cisco.com. "Cisco Study Finds Telecommuting Significantly Increases Employee Productivity, Work-Life Flexibility and Job Satisfaction." June 25, 2009. (March 14, 2013) http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2009/prod_062609.html
- CNN Money. "100 Best Companies to Work For 2012: Best benefits: Telecommuting." (March 14, 2013) http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/2012/benefits/telecommuting.html
- Fottrell, Quentin. "Working from home is a dead-end job." The Wall Street Journal. March 2, 2013. (March 14, 2013) http://articles.marketwatch.com/2013-03-02/finance/37284276_1_home-work-work-at-home-yahoo-employees
- Greenberg, Herb. "Working from Home: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly." CNBC. Feb. 26, 2013. (March 14, 2013) http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130226211932-29478030-working-from-home-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly
- Henn, Steve. "Serendipitous Interaction Key to Tech Firms' Workplace Design." NPR.com. March 13, 2013. (March 14, 2013) http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/03/13/174195695/serendipitous-interaction-key-to-tech-firms-workplace-design
- Kensing, Kyle. "Increase Your Productivity By Working From Home. CareerCast.com. (March 13, 2013) http://www.careercast.com/career-news/increase-your-productivity-working-home
- Kotz, Deborah. "Will Marissa Mayer's Yahoo ban on work at home increase productivity? New research suggests not." Boston.com. Feb. 27, 2013. (March 13, 2013) http://www.boston.com/dailydose/2013/02/27/will-marissa-mayer-yahoo-ban-work-home-increase-productivity-new-research-suggests-not/UVQFRlwnW11aMSAkD7sGpL/story.html
- Marcus, Ruth. "A real Yahoo move." The Washington Post. Feb. 26, 2013. (March 13, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ruth-marcus-a-real-yahoo-move/2013/02/26/9f6e75c6-805b-11e2-a350-49866afab584_story.html
- San Francisco Chronicle: "Top 5 Career Fields Hiring for Telecommuting and Flexible Jobs from Flex Jobs." Oct. 7, 2011. (March 15, 2013) http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Top-5-Career-Fields-Hiring-for-Telecommuting-and-2322647.php
- Stanford University. "Does Working from Home Work? Evidence From a Chinese Experiment." Feb. 22, 2013. (March 2013) http://www.stanford.edu/~nbloom/WFH.pdf
- Swisher, Kara. "Physically Together": Here's the Internal Yahoo No-Work-From-Home Memo for Remote Workers and Maybe More." AllThingsD.com. Feb. 22, 2013. (March 14, 2013) http://allthingsd.com/20130222/physically-together-heres-the-internal-yahoo-no-work-from-home-memo-which-extends-beyond-remote-workers/