Toy Testing in the Digital Age
Classic toys like stuffed animals, tricycles and alphabet blocks are still going strong, but as any modern parent knows, there's a whole new frontier of digital playthings on the market now. And the information-age toymakers are eager to ensure their products meet kids' expectations.
In California, where the latest gadgets and apps spill forth at a frantic pace, a 9-year-old kid named Elliot Cowan headhunted some friends and hired them out as product testing consultants. Elliot and his friends charge toy companies a minimum of $300 a session plus the brand new toys and games they play with. Cowan's team is in hot demand as they kick the tires on everything from prototype karaoke apps to animation programs.
Along the same lines, a digital start-up called Launchpad Toys holds weekly testing sessions at the San Francisco Children's Creativity Museum. The turnaround is lightning fast — if the kids find a flaw in a product, the company can correct it and bring the app back for more testing the next week [source: Dotson].
But kids aren't the only toy testers who are turning into stars in the digital age. We mentioned EvanTubeHD, but another YouTube channel called DisneyCollectorBR isn't just popular, it's a phenomenon.
With as many as 55 million views in a single week, the channel is consistently in the site's top 10list, and in the U.S. has come in ahead of massive celebrities like Shakira and Katy Perry [source: Cohen]. This is jaw-dropping considering that the site consists of nothing more than an anonymous woman opening toys, one after the other. All you can see are her creatively manicured hands unpacking items like Angry Birds egg surprises and Cookie Monster figures.
It doesn't get any simpler, but somehow the format is a massive success. It's estimated that the unknown woman earns as much as $13 million a year in ad revenue! Her main audience? Toddlers [source: Reinsberg]. It makes Riley's job sound downright old-fashioned — not to mention underpaid.
But if one thing is clear, it's that when it comes to toy testing, the job descriptions and rewards are as varied as the world of toys itself.
Author's Note: How Toy Testers Work
My son turned 4 the other day, and the sudden influx of new toys has caused all the organizing bins and boxes to overflow. While it's tempting to think of getting free toys in exchange for testing them out, my first thought is: Where would we put them all? Donating to charities is a great option, of course, but what if the toys are broken? I'm waiting for a line of biodegradable toys I could throw in the compost after they've lost half their wheels and the novelty appeal has worn off (i.e., after a week). Now that's something I'd be happy to test!
- How Lego Bricks Work
- 10 Classic Toys That Could Kill You
- 10 Toys So Popular They Incited Violence
- How Radio Controlled Toys Work
- How To Make Toys
- Ultimate Classic Toys Quiz
- Ari, Sophie. "Dig finds ancient stone doll." The Guardian. Aug. 6, 2004. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/aug/06/research.arts
- Bapuji, Hari and Paul W. Beamish. "Toy Recalls — Is China Really the Problem?" Canada-Asia Commentary 45 (2007): 1-8. http://old.canadaasia2013.ca/sites/default/files/archived_pdf/commentary/cac45.pdf
- Bayless, John D. et al. "Tinker toy test performance and vocational outcome in patients with closed-head injuries." Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 11.6 (1989): 913-917. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01688638908400944
- Brown, Kenneth D. "Design in the British Toy Industry Since 1945." Journal of Design History 11.4 (1998): 323-333. http://jdh.oxfordjournals.org/content/11/4/323.short
- Burton, Anthony. "Design History and the History of Toys: Defining a Discipline for the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood." Journal of Design History 10.1 (1997): 1-21. http://jdh.oxfordjournals.org/content/10/1/1.short
- Canadian Toy Testing Council. "Learning through Play since 1952." (Nov. 27, 2014) http://toy-testing.org/
- Chase, Kristen and Liz Gumbinner. "Toys + Other Playthings." Coolmompicks.com. (Nov. 28, 2014) http://coolmompicks.com/blog/category/kids/cool-toys/http://coolmompicks.com/blog/category/kids/cool-toys/http://coolmompicks.com/
- Chemical Inspection & Regulation Service. "Industry Sector/Toy Safety." 2012. (Nov. 30, 2014) http://www.cirs-reach.com/Toys/
- Cohen, Joshua. "Top 50 Most Viewed U.S. YouTube Channels — Week Of 7/11/14." Tubefilter. July 13, 2014. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.tubefilter.com/2014/07/13/top-50-most-viewed-us-youtube-channels-071114/
- Consumer Product Safety Commission. "The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act." Dec. 6, 2013. (Nov. 30, 2014) http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Regulations-Laws--Standards/Statutes/The-Consumer-Product-Safety-Improvement-Act/
- Corona, Marcella. "Sparks Kids' Imaginations Fly with Toy Testing at Goddard." Reno Gazette-Journal. Oct. 20, 2014. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2014/10/17/sparks-kids-imaginations-fly-toy-testing-goddard/17458855/
- Crossen, Cynthia. "It Dawned on Adults After WWII: 'You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!'" The Wall Street Journal. Dec. 3, 2007. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB119664662089911293
- Dotson, Bob. "App-y campers: These kids have summer fun testing new apps (and get paid for it)." Today Parents. Aug. 18, 2014. (Nov. 30, 2014) http://www.today.com/parents/app-y-campers-these-kids-test-new-apps-get-paid-1D79959050
- Doughty, Peter. "Flammability testing of toys to EN 71-2." Satra Technology. 2014. (Dec. 5, 2014) http://www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/article_view.php?id=407
- Earls, A. O. et al. "Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry determination of the migration of phthalate plasticisers from polyvinyl chloride toys and childcare articles." Journal of Chromatography A983.1 (2003): 237-246. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021967302017363
- EllenTV. "Get All of the Toys Ellen's Toy Testers Loved at Target." Nov. 26, 2014. (Nov. 27, 2014) http://www.ellentv.com/2014/11/26/get-all-of-the-toys-ellens-toy-testers-loved-at-target/
- Greenwell, Faye. "Bideford toddler chosen as toy tester." North Devon Journal. Nov. 27, 2014. (Nov. 27, 2014) http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Bideford-toddler-chosen-toy-tester/story-24765887-detail/story.html
- Hasbro. "Hasbro Customer Service." 2014. (Nov. 27, 2014) http://www.hasbro.com/en_CA/customer-service/Frequently-Asked-Questions.cfm
- International Council of Toy Industries. "History." 2013. (Dec. 3, 2014) http://www.toy-icti.org/about/history.html
- Intertek. "Toy Testing." 2014. (Nov. 30, 2014) http://www.intertek.com/toys/testing/premiums/
- Mattel Imagination Center. "Toy Testers Wanted." Facebook.com. (Nov. 27, 2014) https://www.facebook.com/MattelImaginationCenter
- Reinsberg, Hillary. "YouTube's Biggest Star Is An Unknown Toy-Reviewing Toddler Whisperer." BuzzFeed. July 18, 2014. (Nov. 30, 2014) http://www.buzzfeed.com/hillaryreinsberg/youtubes-biggest-star-is-an-unknown-toy-reviewing-toddler-wh
- Rumack, Leah et al. "The Ultimate Toy Guide 2014: 25 toys for little kids." Today's Parent. Nov. 4, 2014. (Dec. 1, 2014) http://www.todaysparent.com/kids/toys-for-little-kids/
- Sipka, Maria. "How Open Conversation Between Moms, Marketers Earns Influence." Forbes magazine. May 17, 2012. (Nov. 28, 2014) http://www.forbes.com/sites/women2/2012/05/17/how-open-conversation-between-moms-marketers-earns-influence/
- Step 2. "Games and Toys." Facebook.com. (Nov. 27, 2014) https://www.facebook.com/thestep2company?fref=photo
- Szymanski, Marianne "The Use of Focus Groups in Toy Testing." International Journal of Advertising and Marketing to Children. Vol. 1 Iss: 2, (1999): 159-162 (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/eb027609
- The Noise on Toys. "Hot Wheels Car Maker." 2014. (Dec. 1, 2014) http://thenoiseontoys.com/toys/36462/HOT-WHEELS-Car-Maker/journal
- The Step 2 Company. "About Us." 2014. (Nov. 28, 2014) http://www.thestep2company.com/about/
- The Warehouse Group. "New Toy Testers to be selected for The Warehouse." Scoop Independent News (press release). June 11, 2014. (Nov. 28, 2014) http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1406/S00344/new-toy-testers-to-be-selected-for-the-warehouse.htm
- ToyTesters.TV. "Information for Parents." 2014. (Nov. 28, 2014) https://www.toytesters.tv/Information_for_Parents.aspx