Splurge: Central Location
What applies to residential real estate applies to hotel real estate: Location, location, location. You pay extra to be in the middle of things. All those amazing deals for hotels with main attractions "nearby" can be tantalizing; but in the end, it pays to splurge on a hotel in a central location.
Just ask people who've stayed in Vegas "near the Strip." Proximity can be very important.
In the end, you may not even be spending more, since cabs and rental cars can be expensive. The ability to walk everywhere (or almost everywhere) is a huge bonus. Your overall expenses may balance out.
What you'll definitely come out ahead on is precious, relaxing, fun, exciting, "I'm on vacation" hours. Staying in the middle of the action means zero travel time.
And if there's one thing worse than wasting vacation money, it's wasting vacation time.
For more on travel, money-saving tips, and family vacations, look over the links below.
More Great Links
- Adams, Marilyn. "Travel industry scrambles to cope as Americans spend less." USA Today. Feb. 22, 2009.http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2009-02-22-americans-spending-travel_N.htm
- Grant, Kelli B. "Home Swamps: Stay Free on Your Next Vacation." Smart Money. June 3, 2009.http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/stay-for-free-on-your-next-vacation/
- Larson, Heather. "Vacations With Grandkids: When to Save, When to Splurge." Grandparents.com.http://www.grandparents.com/gp/content/travel/travel-tips/article/vacations-with-grandkids-save-or-splurge.html
- Martin, Hugo. "Americans feeling better about spending on summer vacations." Los Angeles Times. May 18, 2010.http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0518-vacation-survey-20100518,0,4807155.story
- McQueen, MP. "Is Travel Insurance Worth the Cost?" Wall Street Journal. April 24, 2010.http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704830404575200164221288080.html
- Romans, Mary Ann. "When to Splurge on Vacation." Families.com. June 8, 2009.http://frugal.families.com/blog/when-to-splurge-on-vacation
How can you plan a fun 'stay-cation'? Learn how to give yourself a much-needed break without breaking the bank by planning a fun 'stay-cation.'