Take Advantage of Rebate Sites
An online merchant's member rewards program isn't the only way to accumulate rebates. There are dedicated rebate sites that act as pass-through portals to your favorite online shopping locations. Portal sites don't actually sell anything, but by directing traffic through their links, they earn commissions. To encourage you to keep visiting and using their links, they split that commission with you. Depending on the merchant involved and the policy of the rebate site, you could qualify for a rebate of anywhere from 2 to 20 percent of your purchase. Rebate sites maintain lists of qualified merchants with published rebate amounts for each participating e-tailer.
To qualify for a rebate payout, you'll have to accumulate a minimum number of points or accrue a predetermined dollar amount. The rules vary from site to site. Your best option is to sign up with more than one rebate site and compare their lists of merchants and rebate rewards before you shop. Some of the most popular rebate sites are: Ebates, Extrabux, ShopAtHome and Mr.Rebates.
- Amazon. "Credit Offerings." (12/5/11). http://www.amazon.com/Credit-Cards/b/ref=amb_link_85313131_3?ie=UTF8&node=1266766011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=A9540D8D151A458AA820&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1282390642&pf_rd_i=amazon%20credit%20card
- CamelCamelCamel. "About CamelCamelCamel." (12/5/11). http://camelcamelcamel.com/about
- Consumer News - Consumer Reports. "7 tips for organized and hassle-free holiday shopping." 11/21/11. (12/5/11). http://news.consumerreports.org/money/2011/11/tips-for-hassle-free-holiday-shopping.html
- Consumer Reports. "50 Fabulous Shopping Sites." 11/2011. (12/5/11). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/shopping/2011/november/50-shopping-sites/overview/index.htm
- Financial Hack. "The Cons of Holiday Shopping Online." (12/5/11). http://www.financialhack.com/the-cons-of-holiday-shopping-online/
- Ford, Becky. "Annual Cashback Shopping Rate Comparison Chart and Analysis." Compare Rewards. 11/8/11. (11/18/11). http://comparerewards.com/archives/1863
- Internet Based Moms. "Selling on the Internet: Some Internet Statistics." (12/5/11). http://www.internetbasedmoms.com/net_selling.htm
- Grant, Kelli B. "5 Best Coupon-Clipping Web Sites." 12/11/01. (12/5/11). http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/family-money/5-best-coupon-clipping-web-sites-23634/
- Kiplinger. "Best of Everything 2010: Best Money-Saving Websites." Kiplinger's Personal Finance. 12/2010. (12/5/11). http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/best-of-everything-2010-best-moneysaving-web-sites.html
- Limelight Networks. "A Look at the Latest Online Shopping Stats." (12/5/11). http://blog.llnw.com/2011/02/a-look-at-the-latest-online-shopping-stats/
- MetaFilter. "The Business of Online Loyalty Programs." 11/18/09. (12/5/11). http://www.metafilter.com/86776/The-business-of-online-loyalty-programs
- Millard, Elizabeth. "Best Loyalty Programs on the Internet." E-Commerce Times. 2/28/04. (12/5/11). http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/32997.html
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.