Some folks compile their grocery lists by department to save on backtracking once they get to the store. Others buy frozen items last and group frozen foods together at the checkout to keep them cold for the ride home. In a nutshell, they have strategies that work for them. You, too, probably have a strategy or two for smart shopping that you can share with your child.
You may like to visit three grocery stores a week to suss out the best bargains, score the freshest produce or take advantage of marked down deli items. You may even prefer to visit the farmers market for produce and give your meat business to a dedicated butcher shop. The way you shop is actually a function of your style and part of the culture of your family. Passing that along can be pretty satisfying -- as satisfying as teaching your child to fish, or sew or cook. Grocery shopping may not be a laugh-a-minute, but teaching your child to shop can be a fun and memory making proposition. So grab a cart and get started.
- How to Grocery Shop on the Cheap
- 10 Ways to Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half
- 10 Things That Never Go on Sale
- 5 Extreme Coupon Tips for Normal People
- Top 10 Marked-up Items in the Grocery Store
- 10 Ways Grocery Stores Trick You Into Spending More
- How to Save Money at the Grocery Store
- How many times a month should you shop for groceries?
- Is it cheaper to buy groceries online?
- Smart Food Shopping
- Five J's. "Teaching Children About Grocery Shopping and Sales Fliers." 12/3/08. (11/7/11). http://fivejs.com/like-skills-for-kids-grocery-shopping-and-sales-fliers/
- Gough, Kristen J. "Teaching Kids How to Buy Stuff." (11/7/11). http://www.metroparent.com/Metro-Parent/April-2011/Teaching-Kids-How-to-Buy-Stuff/
- Herigstad, Sally. "Teach 'Em Young: Grocery Budgeting for Kids." (11/7/11). http://www.redplum.com/pages/viewarticle.aspx?id=30064771338
- Klein, Jen. "Teach Grocery Shopping? Really? Yes! She Knows Parenting. 9/7/11. (11/7/11). http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/838409/teaching-kids-about-grocery-shopping
- Quaker Oats. "Teach Your Kids Healthy Eating Habits." (11/7/11). http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/kids-in-the-kitchen/teach-your-children-healthy-eating-habits.aspx
- Sparks, Candi. "Teaching Children to Shop." 12/23/10. (11/7/11). http://www.goshoppinginfo.com/step-3-teaching-children-to-shop/
- Spence, Keri. "Incorporating Learning at the Grocery Store." 7/18/08. (11/7/11). http://www.lovaas.com/blog/archives/19-Incorporating-Learning-at-the-Grocery-Store.html
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension. "Winning Ways to Grocery Shop With Young Children." (11/7/11). http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/PDFpubs/4341.pdf
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.