It doesn't get more convenient than precut fruits and vegetables. In 2010, consumers spent more than $600 million on premade salads. Precut fruits and veggies are easy to toss into a child's lunch or put in your briefcase as a healthy snack. They save you time. But they don't save you money. You'll pay up to 40 percent more for the honor of having someone else slice up your produce!
You'll get more bang for your buck by breaking out the cutting board and chopping them yourself. It really doesn't take all that much time. Also, consider this: Once you cut up fruits and veggies, they start losing Vitamin C. So, you really should cut them right before you consume them.
For more on shopping and saving money, check out the links below.
- 10 Items You Should Always Buy Generic
- 10 Things Stores Don't Want You to Know
- 10 Things You Should Buy in Bulk
- Top 10 Groceries Americans Buy
- 5 Extreme Coupon Tips for Normal People
- Groceries: Do You Know the Price?
- How to Cut Household Grocery Expenses
- How to Raise a Large Family on a Budget
- How to Scale a Recipe
- How can you throw a cocktail party on a budget?
- How can you throw a fun dinner party on a budget?
- "17 Things That Your Grocer Doesn't Want You to Know." Savvy Discounts. 2011. http://www.savvy-discounts.com/SecretsOfSupermarkets.htm
- "Buying Bulk Items Not Always Cheap." FrugalDad.com. 2011. http://frugaldad.com/2008/01/19/buying-bulk-items-not-always-cheaper/
- Chidmi, Benaissa and Lopez, Rigaberto. "Brand-supermarket demand for breakfast cereals and retail competition." Entrepreneur. May 2007.http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/162990087_3.html
- Crowe, Aaron. "10 Items with Ludicrous Markups." MSNBC.com. 2011.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39490829/ns/business-personal_finance/
- "Frequently Asked Questions." Organic.org. 2011.http://www.organic.org/home/faq
- Roos, Dave. "Top 5 Retail Markups." HowStuffWorks. Jan. 13, 2009.https://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/budgeting/5-retail-markups.htm
- "Retail Rip-Offs and Sneaky Tricks." WalletPop. 2011.http://www.walletpop.com/photos/retail-ripoffs/
- Shake, Adam. "Bottled Water - a 4,000% Markup Via Coke and Pepsi!" Twilight Earth. 2011.http://twilightearth.com/environment-archive-2/bottled-water-a-4000-percent-markup-via-coke-and-pepsi/
- "Unit Price." MathIsFun.com. 2010.http://www.mathsisfun.com/measure/unit-price.html
- "Which is Best: Generic or Name-Brand Cereral?" Good Morning America. Aug. 8, 2006.http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SensibleShopper/story?id=2286495
Paying for housing takes up a huge portion of your paycheck. HowStuffWorks Now looks at the place taking the biggest bite.