The thing I love about writing for Discovery is that -- without fail -- I always learn something new. Unfortunately, it isn't always something I wanted to know! In the case of car insurance, I'm single, and frankly, it had never once occurred to me that my car insurance would be cheaper if I was married! The nerve! I consoled myself by imagining a married couple bickering over the breakfast table in my opening salvo.
On the other hand, it came as a happy surprise to discover that Allstate and State Farm extend the same discounted "married" rates to married gay couples that they extend to heterosexuals (although, only in states that recognize the rights of same-sex couples).
See? I really do "discover" something new every day working for Discovery.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Buying Car Insurance
- 5 States with Unusually High Auto Insurance Rates
- 5 Things You Can Do to Lower Your Auto Insurance Rates
- How Car Insurance Works
- How does the car you buy impact your insurance rate?
- How does where you live affect your auto insurance rate?
- Does car insurance lower at a certain age?
- Allstate Insurance. "Auto Insurance Can be Affected by Divorce." (March 16, 2012) http://www.allstate.com/insurance-industry-news/auto-insurance-news/auto-insurance-can-be-affected-by-divorce-800162052.aspx
- Allstate Insurance. "Combining Car Insurance after Marriage: Cost-Saving or Costly?" (March 16, 2012) http://www.allstate.com/insurance-industry-news/auto-insurance-news/combining-car-insurance-after-marriage-cost-saving-or-costly-800339224.aspx
- Department of Motor Vehicles. "How Auto Insurance Companies Calculate Risk." (March 16, 2012) http://www.dmv.org/insurance/how-auto-insurance-companies-calculate-risk.php
- Edgerton, Jerry. "Same-Sex Couples Get an Auto Insurance Discount." CBS News. Aug. 19, 2011. (March 16, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-40543418/same-sex-couples-get-an-auto-insurance-discount/
- Kelly, Maura. "Singled Out: Are Unmarried People Discriminated Against?" The Daily Beast. Feb. 6, 2012. (March 16, 2012) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/06/singled-out-are-america-s-unmarried-discriminated-against.html
- Parker-Pope, Tara. "Is Marriage Good for Your Health?" The New York Times. April 14, 2010. (March 16, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18marriage-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
- Peesker, Saira. "Married Drivers Get Fewer Tickets Than Common-Laws: Study." CTVNews. Feb. 12, 2012. (March 16, 2012) http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Autos/20120209/Married-drivers-fewer-tickets-common-laws-120212/
- Whitlock, G., et al. "Motor Vehicle Driver Injury and Marital Status: A Cohort Study with Prospective and Retrospective Driver Injuries." PubMed.gov. February 2004. (March 16, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14760024