Lots More Information
Author's Note: Is there a dark side to "doorbuster deals"?
When I first began researching the "dark side of doorbusters," I thought the article might focus on Black Friday-related violence -- the trampling death of a Wal-Mart worker in 2008 is not something easily forgotten. But what I found was a much more common dark side, one related to retail practices in general. Plenty of media outlets have the shopping-related violence angle (good grief, shopping-related violence) covered; and in reality, these incidents, while shocking, are not regular occurrences. The borderline bait-and-switch practices involved in many "doorbuster deals," however, are pretty likely to be encountered by the average consumer. (And wow, the licensing of brand names to "no name" manufacturers so they can put "Philips" and "JVC" on their inferior products was news to me.) So that's where I went. If any of this was news to you, too, and this information inspires an increase in pre-Black Friday research (and maybe the donning of sunglasses in case of some lunatic is carrying pepper spray), I consider this piece a success.
More Great Links
- Barrett, Grant. "Door Buster." A Way With Words. Nov. 30, 3004. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://www.waywordradio.org/door_buster_4/
- "The Facts Behind 14 Black Friday Myths." Deal News. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://dealnews.com/features/The-Facts-Behind-15-Black-Friday-Myths-/510992.html
- Fleming, Caroline. "Black Friday Bargains: Making Sure 'Doorbuster' Remains a Metaphor." Vanderbilt University JET Law. Nov. 25, 2011. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://www.jetlaw.org/?p=9637
- "Gunfire erupts at NC mall as early shoppers arrive." Associated Press via Cleveland.com. Nov. 25, 2011. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2011/11/gunfire_erupts_at_nc_mall_as_e.html
- Morrison, Geoffrey. "HDTV doorbuster deals to avoid." CNET. Nov. 17, 2011. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57324587-221/hdtv-doorbuster-deals-to-avoid/
- Njus, Elliot. "Black Friday: Portland-area doorbuster deals draw early birds even earlier." The Oregonian. Nov. 25, 2011. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/11/black_friday_portland-area_doo.html
- Strohmeyer, Robert. "Black Friday Doorbusters Are For Suckers." PC World. Nov. 26, 2009. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/183235/blac_friday_doorbusters_are_for_suckers.html
- Yardena, Arar. "Top 5 Black Friday Gotchas." PC World. Nov. 25, 2009. (Oct. 25, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/182985/top_5_black_friday_gotchas.html