This is probably the hardest of all the job search tips because it doesn't detail anything you can actively do to get a job. In fact, it's what you do after you've done everything else you can. It often requires painful character growth and the development of such difficult qualities as patience and persistence. Coping with job rejection is not fun, but it's incredibly useful. How so? Primarily, it steels you so that you can continue your search. If you allow yourself to give up or become discouraged, you won't put the work into your job search that you need to land a job.
Secondly, rejection gives you a chance to reevaluate your job search. If what you're doing isn't effective, perhaps you need to make some changes in your approach. Rejection may be a clue that you need to revamp your résumé or look for jobs in new places.
And consider this: The more job rejections you get, the more likely it is that the job you do find is a good fit. Not every employer is looking for the same thing. You may have skills that are unimportant to the majority of companies you contact, but that jump off the page when they cross the right desk at another company. Past rejections may be necessary for you to get to the job you want.
If you're interested in learning more about improving your job search, keep reading for lots more information.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- CareerBuilder.com. "Employers Share Most Unusual Tactics Job Seekers Have Used to Get Hired in New CareerBuilder.com Survey." October 8, 2008. (July 16, 2010)http://www.careerbuilder.com/share/aboutus/pressreleasesdetail.aspx?id=pr464&sd=10%2f8%2f2008&ed=12%2f31%2f2008&siteid=cbpr&sc_cmp1=cb_pr464_
- CareerBuilder.com. "More Employers Seeing Unusual Tactics from Job Seekers in 2010, Finds New CareerBuilder Survey." June 9, 2010. (July 16, 2010)http://www.careerbuilder.com/share/aboutus/pressreleasesdetail.aspx?id=pr574&sd=6/9/2010&ed=12/31/2010
- CareerBuilder.com. "Top 10 Online Job Search Tips." August 19, 2008. (July 16, 2010)http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-703-Job-Search-Top-10-Online-Job-Search-Tips/?ArticleID=703&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=0c3b515e6f724b5fa551e7ce6cc17019-332549751-VJ-4&ns_siteid=ns_us_g_job_search_tips
- Chase, Katie Johnston. "When silence greets the resumé." The Boston Globe. July 7, 2009. (July 16, 2010)http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2009/07/07/tight_market_makes_job_seekers_ever_more_creative/
- Dobrinska, Julie. "Job Hunting When You Have a Job." Your Office Coach. (July 16, 2010)http://www.yourofficecoach.com/Topics/jobhuntingonthejob.htm
- Green, David. "How To Follow Up To Get That Special Job Interview." JobBank USA. 2006. (July 16, 2010)http://www.jobbankusa.com/CareerArticles/Interview/ca4406b.html
- Hansen, Ph.D., Randall S. "Follow Up All Job Leads: Don't Wait by the Phone (or Computer)." Quintessential Careers. (July 16, 2010)http://www.quintcareers.com/following_job_leads.html
- Indeed.com. "Ten Tips for a Successful Online Job Search." (July 16, 2010)http://www.indeed.com/docs/job-search-tips.pdf
- Isaacs, Kim. "Resume Dilemma: Employment Gaps and Job-Hopping." Monster.com. (July 16, 2010)http://career-advice.monster.com/resumes-cover-letters/resume-writing-tips/resume-dilemma-employment-gaps/article.aspx
- Langfitt, Frank. "Startups Help Clean Up Online Reputations." NPR. November 15, 2006. (July 16, 2010)http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6462504
- Lankford, Kimberly. "Guard Against Job-Search Scams." Kiplinger. July 23, 2009. (July 16, 2010)http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/ask/archive/2009/q0723.htm
- Lorenz, Kate. "What are Resume Keywords?" CareerBuilder.com. February 28, 2008. (July 16, 2010)http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-464-Cover-Letters-and-Resumes-What-are-Resume-Keywords/?ArticleID=464&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=d9627a88292b42e693d7df700702f93d-332562009-RQ-4&ns_siteid=ns_us_g_resume_keywords
- Maling, Brittany. "Résumé Do's and Don'ts." HR World. November 7, 2007. (July 16, 2010)http://www.hrworld.com/features/resume-dos-donts-110707/
- Monster.com. "A Smart Job Search is a Safe Job Search." (July 16, 2010)http://my.monster.com/securitycenter/
- Sinacole, Pattie Hunt. "Follow-up on resume submission." The Boston Globe. March 9, 2009. (July 16, 2010)http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/jobdoc/2009/03/follow_up_on_resume_submission.html
- Spisak, Donalyn. "Can You Afford a Recruiter?" JobBank USA®. (July 16, 2010)http://www.jobbankusa.com/CareerArticles/Recruiter/ca40703g.html
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition." December 17, 2009. (July 16, 2010)http://www.bls.gov/oco/oco20042.htm
You're a human. You need a house. Should you buy one or rent one?