If you eat breakfast at a Mexican McDonald's, you'll notice one item that has no equivalent on the U.S. menu: molletes, or rather, McMolletes. These are three English muffins, each topped with refried beans, white American cheese and a little salsa.
If you fold two of them together and wonder who forgot the top to your other bean McMuffin, you're missing the point. Molletes are supposed to be open-faced. But traditional molletes, unlike McDonald's, don't include English muffins. The bread is traditionally a bolillo, a homemade roll that's crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, and is better at soaking up sauce than the muffins used in McDonald's trademarked egg sandwich. In addition, instead of processed American cheese, the cheese is typically a fresher white cheese like Monterey Jack. For the sweet rather than savory types out there, you can also find "dulce" molletes, but so far McDonald's hasn't added them to its menu in Mexico or elsewhere.
That concludes our McDonald's international tour. Whether you're traveling by guidebook or cookbook, we hope you don't miss the wonders of the world, no matter where you eat.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Alva, Marilyn. "World's largest McDonald's opens to big crowds in Rome; some call new 425-seat unit the 'death of Italian cuisine'." Nation's Restaurant News. May 5, 1986. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_v20/ai_4234025/
- Barker, Heidi. Personal communication. 4/3/2009.
- Bruscino Sanchez, Maria. "Sweet Maria's Italian Desserts." 2000. (4/1/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=yU0Vq9mhtnUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=italian+desserts&lr=&as_drrb_is=b&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=1990&as_maxm_is=4&as_maxy_is=2009&as_brr=3&as_pt=ALLTYPES#PPA55,M1
- Friedman, Thomas L. "Foreign Affairs Big Mac I." The New York Times. Dec. 8, 1996. (4/9/2009)http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/08/opinion/foreign-affairs-big-mac-i.html
- Germaine, Elizabeth at al. "Cooking the Australian Way." 2003. (4/1/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=YCros0fL1rwC&pg=PP1&dq=cooking+the+australian+way#PPA13,M1
- Higuera McMahan, Jacqueline. "California Ranchero Cooking: Mexican and Californian Recipes." 2001. Seattle: Sasquatch Books.
- Hutton, Wendy. "Singapore Food." 2007. Tarrytown, NY: Marshall Cavendish
- Kraft Foods Australia. "Vegemite Facts & Fiction." 2009. (4/1/2009) http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/page?siteid=vegemite-prd&locale=auen1&PagecRef=646
- McDonald's Australia Site. "McDonald's Product Ingredients." Feb. 18, 2009. (4/1/2009)http://www.mcdonalds.com.au/PDFs/Ingredient_Listing_Information.pdf
- McDonald's Canada Site. "McDonald's Nutrition Calculator: Double Big Mac Sandwich." (4/9/2009)http://www.mcdonalds.ca/NutritionCalculator/index_en.html
- McDonald's Corporation. "McDonald's Dispels War Effort Internet Rumors." Jan. 15, 2009. (4/9/2009)http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/media_center/recent_news/corporate/mcdonald_s_dispels.html
- McDonald's Corporation. "McDonald's Corporation Form 10K." Feb. 25, 2009. (4/9/2009) http://ccbn.10kwizard.com/cgi/image?ipage=6162911&doc=11&cik=63908&odef=8&rid=12&quest=1&xbrl=0&dn=2
- McDonald's Egypt Site."Menu." 2008. (4/1/2009) http://www.mcdonaldsegypt.com/
- McDonald's España Site. "Gazpacho Alvalle." 2007. (4/1/2009) http://www.mcdonalds.es/#/all-products/product-gazpacho/
- McDonald's India Site. "Menu." 2009. (4/1/2009) http://www.mcdonaldsindia.com/menu.html
- McDonald's Italia Site. "I Nostri Prodotti." 2009. (4/1/2009) http://www.mcdonalds.it/#/all-products/
- McDonald's Japan Site. "McFlurry & Oreo." 2009. (4/1/2009) http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/menu/limited/mcflurry/index.html
- McDonald's Japan Site. "Regular Menu." 2009. (4/1/2009)http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/menu/regular/index.html
- McDonald's Malaysia Site. "Menu Items: A La Carte Menu." 2008. (4/1/2009) http://www.mcdonalds.com.my/ourfood/alacarte.asp
- McDonald's México Site. "McMolletes." 2009. (4/1/2009)http://www.mcdonalds.com.mx/
- McDonald's Singapore Site. "History." 4/12/09http://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/companyinfo_history.html
- McDonald's Singapore Site. "Profile." 4/8/09http://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/companyinfo_profile.html
Just 9 percent of all shopping is online, but it's growing fast. HowStuffWorks shares a few tricks retail stores are using to stay competitive.