We've saved the best for last — a job testing out waterslides. A waterslide tester visits resorts to try out new water features to ensure they're working safely and correctly, and above all, are fun. As a tester, you check off items like height, water flow, speed and landing, making sure they're all up to the quality of the resort's reputation.
This job requires traveling around the world as your company opens different resorts, but that's just another perk. One waterslide tester says the worst part of his job is testing the slides and flumes in cold weather [source: Daily Mail]. That may be a downside, but it's not too bad, considering you're testing a product that brings fun and excitement to families on vacation everywhere.
Author's note: 10 Amazing Product Tester Jobs
These jobs sure sound pretty fun. Be warned, though, for most of them, you can't just walk in the door and ask for a job. For many, you might have to work your way up to the cool stuff. These positions require a high level of detail and note-taking. Still, to me, it seems pretty worth it. I'm addicted to naps, and the bed tester job sure sounds like my ultimate dream career! Pun intended, of course.
More Great Links
- Daily Mail. "Is this the most fun job in the world? The man who travels the globe testing holiday resort waterslides." Dec. 30, 2008. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1103046/Is-fun-job-world-The-man-travels-globe-testing-holiday-resort-waterslides.html
- Inside Jobs. "Car Test Driver." 2013. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.insidejobs.com/careers/car-test-driver
- McCormick. "Consumer Testing." 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.mccormickcorporation.com/consumer-testing.aspx
- Merz, Theo. "A day in the life of a professional beer taster." The Telegraph. Aug. 29, 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11046041/A-day-in-the-life-of-a-professional-beer-taster.html
- Microsoft. "Playtest." 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/playtest/default.aspx
- National Consumer Panel. "How It Works." 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://join.ncponline.com/how
- Nielsen. "Nielsen Families." 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/about-us/nielsen-families.html
- NIKE. "Footwear." 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) https://producttesting.nike.com/footwear/7055
- Palermo, Elizabeth. "How to Become a Video Game Tester." Business News Daily. April 2, 2013. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4259-how-to-become-a-video-game-tester.html
- Parent Tested Parent Approved. "PTPA - The Endorsement Parents Look For." 2014. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://ptpa.com
- The Schwan Food Company. "Become a Taste Tester." 2009. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.schwanstastetesting.com/learnmore.htm
- Self. "Do You Love Beauty Products? Test Them For SELF!" Oct. 14, 2013. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.self.com/flash/beauty-blog/2013/10/beauty-2014-healthy-beauty-award-tester/
- The Telegraph. "Student paid to sleep in designer beds." Aug. 10, 2009. (Nov. 29, 2014) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6001095/Student-paid-to-sleep-in-designer-beds.html
HowStuffWorks looks at the difference between the salary history and the salary requirements question in job interviews and how to answer them.