Like HowStuffWorks on Facebook!

How Project HOPE Works


Helping Project HOPE

The headquarters of Project HOPE is located in Millwood, Va., but the organization is currently running projects in more than 30 countries around the world. Because of the scope of its efforts, Project HOPE is continuously soliciting qualified employees, volunteers and interns.

Project HOPE isn't exclusively looking for doctors or even people with medical backgrounds. Among its current job openings are positions for accountants, budget analysts, communications directors and marketing managers. Several positions require a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree.

There are frequent internships available for medical students or students pursuing an MPH degree. As for volunteers, Project HOPE is always looking for experienced, compassionate doctors, nurses and other medical personnel to work abroad. Sometimes Project HOPE will provide room, board and travel expenses.

Interested applicants for paid and unpaid positions are encouraged to submit an online application indicating their specific areas of interest and expertise. Project HOPE maintains a database of applicants and draws from that talent pool when new opportunities arise.

Even if you can't donate your time to Project HOPE, you can offer financial assistance through cash donations. Donations help pay for vaccines, training materials and the transportation costs associated with shipping donated medical supplies.

For example, a donation of $25 could pay for training materials for 10 community health workers to prevent, recognize and treat common illnesses. $100 could train seven community health workers to train mothers to recognize potentially deadly childhood illnesses. $500 could fund six microloans for women who want to start small businesses, raise their standard of living and improve their ability to provide health care for their families.

Project HOPE is proud of its financial stewardship. In fiscal year 2008, 92 percent of its total expenses went directly to health care education, humanitarian aid and health policy efforts, leaving only 8 percent for administrative costs. In 2008, Project HOPE's annual expenses were over $159 million, but it raised more than $174 million in donations [source: Better Business Bureau]. More than $14 million of those donations came from private individuals.

Project HOPE benefits from strategic partnerships with industry leaders and government organizations. Let's explore these partnerships on the next page.


More to Explore