Have you heard that learning keeps the brain young? And what better place to learn than college? Alaska, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, New Jersey, Vermont and Virginia all have statewide tuition waivers for students starting at ages ranging from 62 to 65 years old. Many other states allow senior citizens to audit classes for free or at drastically reduced rates -- meaning that while you may not be working toward a degree, you can scratch that longtime itch to know more about Slavic history, learn a foreign language or take lessons in music composition.
Additionally, scholarships exist specifically for senior citizens. Call your local college for more information. Community colleges and online education programs are also likely to waive or reduce fees for seniors.
For more information on life as a retiree, check out the links below.
- The Associated Press. "A Look At College Deals For Retirees, Seniors." The Huffington Post. Aug. 6, 2010. (Jan. 11, 2011) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/06/college-deals-for-retiree_n_673526.html
- Brandon, Emily. "6 Ski Town Deals for Retirees." U.S. News & World Report. Dec. 15, 2008. (Jan. 11, 2011) http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2008/12/15/6-ski-town-deals-for-retirees.html
- Brandon, Emily. "Tips on Paying for College as a Retiree." U.S. News & World Report. Oct. 26, 2006. (Jan. 16, 2011) http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/061026/26retireescollege.htm
- Mannes, George. "Best tax states for retirees on the move." CNN Money. April 29, 2009. (Jan. 16, 2011) http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/moneymag/0904/gallery.Money100_retiree_taxes.moneymag/index.html
- Powell, Robert. "Top Seven Tax Breaks for Seniors (and Their Families)." Yahoo! Finance. Dec. 20, 2006. (Jan. 15, 2011) http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/101947/top_seven_tax_breaks_for_seniors
- Purina. "Purina Pets for Seniors." (Jan. 16, 2011) http://www.purinapetsforseniors.com/
- Stern, Linda. "Stretching the Savings." Newsweek. Dec. 1, 2008. (Jan. 12, 2011)http://www.newsweek.com/2008/11/30/stretching-the-savings.html
- Smidt, David. "Banks Offer Wealth of Special Discounts, Benefits for Senior Citizens." Senior Journal. Aug. 16, 2007. (Jan. 15, 2011) http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Discounts/2007/7-08-16-BanksOffer.htm
HowStuffWorks looks at the FIRE movement (financial independence, retire early) and finds out how adherents retired so early.