Don't Believe Everything You Read
Hotel reservations are usually made sight unseen. So, you have to rely on the information the hotel offers through its Web site. And of course, those Web sites are designed to make you want to stay at that particular location, so they might not be entirely honest.
Travel columnist and former hotel employee Amy Bradley-Hole advises potential hotel guests to do their homework, first. If a hotel is listed as "minutes away" from a particular attraction or location, what does that really mean? Plot it out on Google Maps to see if that translates to "60 minutes on foot" or "10 minutes in a cab." Figuring that out before you book can save you an unpleasant surprise once you arrive.
- AOL Travel Canada. "The Dirty Truth: Your hotel room might not be as clean as it looks." April 10, 2011. (April 11, 2011)http://travel.aol.ca/2011/04/10/the-dirty-truth-your-hotel-room-might-not-be-as-clean-as-it-loo/
- Bed Bug Registry. "About the Bed Bug Registry." (April 9, 2011)http://bedbugregistry.com/about/
- Bradley-Hole, Amy. "A hotel insider dishes on industry secrets." Aug. 1, 2007. (April 10, 2011)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20072620/ns/travel-travel_tips/
- Donahue, Raechel. "How to Negotiate a Lower Hotel Price." USA Today Travel. (April 9, 2011)http://traveltips.usatoday.com/negotiate-lower-hotel-price-10641.html
- Haslam, Chris. "Cheap tricks to use at a hotel." London Times Online. June 7, 2009. (April 8, 2011)http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/article6437841.ece
- Independent Traveler.com. "Hotel Tipping." (April 8, 2011)http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=307&category=7
- Lainevool, Toivo. "Hidden Fees at Las Vegas Hotels -- Don't Be a Victim." (April 10, 2011)http://www.vegashotelspecial.com/index.php/2009/10/07/hidden-fees-at-las-vegas-hotels-dont-be-a-victim/
- Mommy Warriors.com. "9 Secrets That Hotels Don't Want You to Know." Jan. 28, 2008. (April 9, 2011)http://www.mommywarriors.com/blogs/?p=1780
- Montaño, Diana. "Housekeeper has challenging role in vital industry." Market Watch. June 18, 2009. (April 10, 2011)http://www.marketwatch.com/story/housekeeper-has-challenging-role-in-vital-industry
- MSNBC.com. "Worried about bed bugs in your hotel room?" June 7, 2006. (April 9, 2011)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11877871/ns/travel-travel_tips/
- Savage, Peter. "Hotel Security for the Traveler." Magellan's. (April 10, 2011)http://www.magellans.com/store/article/423
- The Travel Insider.com. "When is the best (and worst) time to make your hotel reservation?" March 18, 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://www.thetravelinsider.com/howtobookbuy/negotiatehotelrates2.htm
How can you plan a fun 'stay-cation'? Learn how to give yourself a much-needed break without breaking the bank by planning a fun 'stay-cation.'