Can you receive financial aid with two working parents?

By: Contributors

Depending on how much your parents earn, you may or may not be eligible for financial aid. If both of your parents have low-paying jobs or are only able to work part-time, you may be eligible for a variety of financial aid programs. Each state has its own grant programs in addition to federal aid money. If your parents earn a decent salary but they have unusual circumstances or a lot of expenses, such as medical bills, college tuition for other children in the family, or money in annual education savings accounts for when the younger children are ready to go to college, these allowances can be used to reduce their income.

If you have very good grades and a university wants you to attend their institution, you may be eligible for a merit-based scholarship, regardless of how much income your parents have. If you aren't eligible for grants due to your parents' robust financial circumstances, you still may be eligible for loans to pay off your education.


Speak to the university's financial aid administrator, since there are creative ways to get financial aid even if both your parents work. For instance, depending on your age, you may be able to file for financial aid as an independent student, in which case only your finances will be taken into account instead of the finances of your parents. Similarly, if you're a U.S. veteran or you're currently serving in the armed forces, or if you're studying toward a master's degree or doctorate (M.D., Ph.D., etc.), you don't need to submit your parents' financial information. Using the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) form, you can get an idea of how much money the university will expect as your family's contribution. Pell grants, SEOG (Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants) and College Work Study programs can also help pay for your education.