Let's face it, guys, you're not exactly known for being neat and organized. And chances are, having a clean, welcoming space is probably going to be your biggest decorating challenge. Fortunately, there are many stylish and affordable ways you can spiff up your space.
Start with laundry. Make sure you have a hamper for dirty laundry and a basket for freshly washed clothing. Your floor, chair and bed aren't appropriate storage places for your wardrobe, so put things away. If you don't have enough drawer and closet space, use canvas storage boxes and under-the-bed boxes for out-of-season clothes and shoes.
As for your school supplies, anything from cardboard photo boxes to canvas totes can help you keep your learning tools ready when you need them, but out of sight for your next party. Plastic storage containers with drawers are also an option that can help you make the most of your space. Memo boards give you a place to organize to-do lists and reminders, but also provide space for creative flair such as photos and quotes. Stackable shelves offer a place for media like CDs, DVDs and video games. And if you're still running out of places to put things, look for a storage ottoman or two. Not only will these small pieces of accent furniture provide containment for more of your stuff, they'll also add extra seating to your space.
All of these items can be purchased inexpensively anywhere from a drugstore to a warehouse store -- and a lot of places in between. These days, storage items are as stylish as they are utilitarian. You can probably even find boxes and baskets that match up with the color scheme of your bedspread and other items in your room. The main goal of purchasing such decorative containment is to create an orderly, visually pleasing space that will make your dorm room more inviting to you and any visitors you may have -- particularly those of the opposite sex.
Continue reading for lots more information.
- Cash, Rana. "DIY: 10 Tips for Decorating Your Dorm Room, Plus More Ideas." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Aug. 12, 2009. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-bargain-hunter/2009/08/12/diy-10-tips-for-decorating-your-dorm-room-plus-more-ideas/
- Cash, Rana. "Dorm Room Decorating on a Budget." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. July 28, 2010. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-bargain-hunter/2010/07/28/dorm-room-decorating-on-a-budget/
- Eldor, Karin. "Decorating Your Dorm Room." AskMen. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trends_100/136_fashion_men.html
- Keller, Des. "College Chic." HomeFurnishings.com. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.homefurnishings.com/category/discover/budget-decorating/budget-friendly-tips/article/college-chic
- McGrigg, Kim. "Budget Decorating Tips from the Dorm." Money Management International." May 07, 2009. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.moneymanagement.org/Community/Blogs/Blogging-for-Change/2009/May/Budget-decorating-tips-from-the-dorm.aspx
- MoneySmartLife. "College Dorm Room Décor Ideas -- How to Decorate Your Dorm on a Budget." Aug. 12, 2008. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://moneysmartlife.com/college-dorm-room-decor-ideas-how-to-decorate-your-dorm-on-a-budget/
- Reynolds, Susan. "How to Decorate a College Apartment." San Francisco Chronicle. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://homeguides.sfgate.com/decorate-college-apartment-1843.html
- Towns, Shelly. "Off to College: Dorm Room Decorating on a Budget." SayCampusLife. Aug. 10, 2010. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.saycampuslife.com/2010/08/10/off-to-college-dorm-room-decorating-on-a-budget/
- Walbaum, Michelle. "College students need to handle debt, credit cards wisely." USA Today. Aug. 14, 2009. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/college/2009-08-13-college-students-debt-credit_N.htm