Every kitchen should be stocked with plenty of cookware, including pots, pans and cutlery. You'll also need at least one (preferably two) sets of cups and dishes. Appliances can help keep food fresh and make cooking a much simpler task. Consider the following kitchen tools and appliances for your household shopping list:
- Dinnerware: A meal isn't complete without having a set of dishes to serve it on -- including dinner and salad plates and soup bowls. Buy a few more servings of flatware than you have family members (in case you have guests or a spoon or two is dirty), and be sure to pick up plenty of mugs and glassware for coffee, tea, water and juice.
- Cookware: Pots and pans are needed for cooking, and items like cutting boards and a cutlery set will help with food prep in the kitchen.
- Bakeware: Every baker needs a set of mixing bowls, measuring spoons and measuring cups. A baking sheet is also a must-have kitchen item; it can be used to cook everything from vegetables to chocolate chip cookies.
- Kitchen utensils: To successfully cook a meal, it's important to have the right tools and utensils, like spatulas, whisks, tongs, spoons and ladles. A can opener will allow you to open cans quickly and safely, and a corkscrew is necessary whenever a bottle of wine is served with dinner.
- Dishwasher: While many kitchen appliances can make cooking and baking easier, a dishwasher will save you hours of work per week by washing and drying your dishes for you.
- Microwave: This common household appliance is essential for cooking food quickly, defrosting frozen meat and, yes, popping popcorn.
- Slow cooker: A slow cooker can make a meal in a single afternoon while you focus your attention elsewhere.