Lots More Information
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.
- 10 Store-brand Products that Are the Same as Name Brands
- 10 Ways Grocery Stores Trick You Into Spending More
- 5 Extreme Coupon Tips for Novice Couponers
- 5 Tips for Buying Groceries in Bulk
- Groceries: Do You Know the Price?
- How many times a month should you shop for groceries?
- Is Bigger Better? Buying Bulk Foods Quiz
- Top 10 Groceries Americans Buy
- Top 10 Marked-up Items in the Grocery Store
- Dorfman, Brad. "Food Price Rise to Hit Holiday Spending: Survey." Reuters. Nov. 1, 2011. (Nov. 8, 2011) http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/01/us-usa-consumer-survey-idUSTRE7A05DU20111101
- Foulsham. "Freezing Vegetables A to Z." Grow Your Own Fruit & Veg. (Nov. 14, 2011) http://www.growveggies.net/harvesting_and_storing/freezing_vegetables_a_to_z/
- FSIS. "Shelf-Stable Food Safety." USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. (Nov. 8, 2011) http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Shelf_Stable_Food_Safety/index.asp#6
- McClellan, Marisa. "Canning 101: How to Store Finished Jars." Food in Jars. Aug. 24, 2010. (Nov. 8, 2011) http://www.foodinjars.com/2010/08/canning-101-how-to-store-finished-jars/
- McLaren, Warren. "When More is Less: The Case for Bulk Buying Food." Treehugger. May 13, 2009. (Nov. 8, 2011) http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/when-more-is-less-the-case-for-bulk-buying-food.html
- StillTasty. "Best Way to Store Multi-grain Bread, Commercially Baked, Pre-sliced." (Nov. 8, 2011) http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17746
- USDA. "Keep Food Safe! Food Safety Basics." Food Safety and Inspection Service. (Nov. 14, 2011). http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Keep_Food_Safe_Food_Safety_Basics/index.asp#2