As with antacids, pain relievers are a great place to save. Store brands have to meet the same efficacy and safety standards as name brands. They typically come in various forms (caplets, tablets, etc.) to suit your preference. And the active ingredients are identical -- for example, acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil). Your headache doesn't care whether the ibuprofen has its own ad campaign.
A dollar here and there can really add up over time, so don't underestimate the power of the store brand. Fifteen bucks a week may not cover your mortgage, but it can probably take care of your texting.
For more money-saving ideas, look over the links below.
- 10 Items You Should Always Buy Generic
- 10 Things Stores Don't Want You to Know
- 10 Things You Should Buy in Bulk
- 5 Tips For Shopping Online
- 5 Extreme Coupon Tips for Normal People
- Groceries: Do You Know the Price?
- How to Raise a Large Family on a Budget
- How can you throw a cocktail party on a budget?
- How can you throw a fun dinner party on a budget?
More Great Links
- Store brands vs. brand names? Consumer Reports. October 2010. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/october/shopping/store-brands-vs-name-brands/overview/index.htm
- Barger, Jan. "Are generic or store-brand formulas less nutritious than name-brand formulas?" BabyCenter. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-generic-or-store-brand-formulas-less-nutritious-than-bra_1334547.bc
- Generic and Store Brands vs. Brand Name. CBS News. June 19, 2010. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/19/earlyshow/saturday/main6598113.shtml
- Johnson, Stacy. "7 Things You Should Always Buy Generic." Money Talks News. Sept. 9, 2010. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2010/09/09/7-things-you-should-always-buy-generic/
- Johnson, Stacy. "Followup -- What's in a (Brand) Name?" Money Talks News. Sept. 30, 2010. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2010/09/30/followup-whats-in-a-brand-name/
- Not better than the real thing, but just as good. MSNBC.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38600485/ns/today/
- When to Buy Brand Names vs. Knockoffs. AskMen. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.askmen.com/money/investing_150/166_investing.html
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.