If you've ever spent a pleasant hour in a neighborhood bakery-café, it's a relatively simple matter to understand why this restaurant segment is experiencing sales growth upwards of $4.3 million annually. After all, even with all we spend on restaurant starches, we still buy about $10 billion worth of fresh bread and rolls at grocery stores each year.
Whether filling our carts with fresh bread is a financially savvy move to avoid pricey bagel breakfasts or panini lunches -- or is simply meant to satisfy an in-home need for a menu staple -- bread is at the top of our shopping lists. And, because cheese and wine is probably penciled in, too, we've got the makings for a fine way to woo our tastebuds. Until our next trip to the market, that is.
- 10 Items You Should Always Buy Generic
- 10 Things Stores Don't Want You to Know
- 10 Things You Should Buy in Bulk
- 10 Drinks Your Kids Should Not Be Drinking
- 5 Tips For Shopping Online
- 5 Extreme Coupon Tips for Normal People
- Groceries: Do You Know the Price?
- How to Cut Household Grocery Expenses
- How to Raise a Large Family on a Budget
- How to Scale a Recipe
- How can you throw a cocktail party on a budget?
- How can you throw a fun dinner party on a budget?
- American Egg Board. "Pasteurized Egg Products' Impressive Safety Record." Aug. 26, 2010. (Feb. 4, 2011) http://www.aeb.org/food-manufacturers-blog/?p=133
- Consumer Search. "Laundry Detergent." April 2010. (Feb. 4, 2011)http://www.consumersearch.com/laundry-detergent/review
- Cooper, Jill. "Demystifying the Great Laundry Detergent Dilemma." (Feb. 3, 2011) Livingonadime.com.http://www.livingonadime.com/articles/laundrydetergent.htm
- Deardorff, Julie. "The Top Best-Selling Grocery Items." Oct. 23, 2009. (Feb. 3, 2011) ChicagoTribune.com.http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2009/10/the-top-10-bestselling-grocery-items.html
- Lempert, Phil. "The Five Things You Need to Know About Deli Meats." Dec. 27, 2006. (Feb. 3, 2011) MSN.com. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/16361276/ns/today-foodwine/
- Modern Medicine. "Soda Consumption Increasing Dramatically in U.S. Adults." Jan. 8, 2009. (Feb. 3, 2011)http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Modern+Medicine+Now/Soda-Consumption-Increasing-Dramatically-in-US-Adu/ArticleNewsFeed/Article/detail/574518
- Rockwood, Kate. "Rising Dough: Why Panera Bread is on a Roll." Oct. 1, 2009. (Feb. 3, 2011) FastCompany.com.http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/139/rising-dough.html
- Stradley, Linda, "History of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich." What's Cooking America. (Feb. 4, 2011) http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/PeanutButterJellySandwich.htm
- Suddath, Claire. "A Brief History of Peanut Butter." Feb. 12, 2009. (Feb. 4, 2011) Time.com. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1879180,00.html
- Todorova, Aleksandra. "Top Five Supermarket Tricks." Aug. 30, 2007. (Feb. 3, 2011) SmartMoney.com. http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/top-5ive-supermarket-tricks-0/
- United States Department of Agriculture. "Beef… From Farm to Table." (Feb. 4, 2011) http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/beef_from_farm_to_table/index.asp
- Welch, Susan. "Understanding American Government." Jan. 27, 2009. (Feb. 3, 2011) Wadsworth Publishing.
- Wolf, Bonny. "Recalling America's Love of Peanut Butter." March 1, 2009. (Feb. 3, 2011) NPR.org.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101278949
HowStuffWorks talks to financial experts to find out the best ways to save money every day. And none of their advice includes giving up Starbucks.