Eventually, according to Luria, the little card we stick into the ATM will go the way of the cassette tape and the Walkman. The smart phone will become the new wallet. "You'll be able to use a phone at an ATM," he says. "Instead of putting your card in to identify yourself, you wave your phone in front of the ATM."
Virtual banking is already making its way in the business. In Philadelphia, you can already deposit a check by phone -- without going near a machine.
But for those who need to use the actual machine, the time is coming when your accounts, your identity and your preferences will all be packed into your mobile device."I think, in general, it'll help save money," Luria says.
To learn more about ATMs, check out the links below.
- Lowe, Frederick. "A vending machine that sells gold is installed in a Florida mall." ATM Marketplace. Dec. 21, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2011)http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article/178388/A-vending-machine-that-sells-gold-is-installed-in-a-Florida-mall
- Lowe, Frederick. "Diebold reports higher third-quarter net income and revenues." ATM Marketplace. Oct. 28, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2011)http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article/177488/Diebold-reports-higher-third-quarter-net-income-and-revenues
- Lowe, Frederick. "TIO offers cross-border bill payment." ATM Marketplace. Oct. 27, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2011)http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article/177460/TIO-offers-cross-border-bill-payment
- Luria, Gil. Wedbush Securities. Personal interview. Jan. 13, 2011.
- Wells Fargo. "Wells Fargo Launches ATM Cash Tracker Money Management Tool." Dec. 8, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2011)https://www.wellsfargo.com/press/2010/20101208_ATM
Millions of people have figured out how to get by without a bank account, whether by choice or force of circumstance. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.