Cracks and Chips: Is full glass coverage worth the money?

Cracked windshield.
Do you need extra car insurance to cover damage to your windshield? See more Car Safety Pictures.
Tommy Flynn/Getty Images

You may love driving, but dealing with car insurance can be such a pain. It's certainly not an expense anyone enjoys paying for, but almost every state in the U.S. requires some basic level of auto insurance coverage. There are so many different types of insurance, though – how do you know which ones you need? Specifically, do you need extra coverage for your windshield and the other windows on your car?

Before we get into specific types of car insurance, however, let's talk about conventional coverage. The most basic auto insurance is liability coverage. This is mandated by most states (the minimum amount varies). It covers injuries to other people and damage to other people's property caused by you when you're driving your car. The next step up is collision coverage; this will pay for damage to your car in the event of a collision. Then there's comprehensive coverage. This pays for damage to your vehicle, as long as it wasn't caused by a collision. Did your car get washed away by a flood? Stolen by a thief? That's what comprehensive coverage is for.


There are some other types of insurance coverage that cover uninsured drivers, payment for medical expenses and reimbursement for a rental car, but which type of coverage is best if you're worried about a cracked windshield? We'll explain that next.