Married people seem to have all the luck. Statistically, they live longer. Plus, studies show married people (and, incidentally, anyone with a solid credit rating) are much less likely to get into accidents or incur other driving violations than their single counterparts [source: J.D. Chapman Agency, Inc.]. Furthermore, if a married person does get into an accident, it's likely to be less costly than one a single person would be involved in. Not surprisingly, some insurance companies react to these statistics by hiking the rates of their single clientele, regardless of their driving history [source: J.D. Chapman Agency, Inc.]. Who's coming out on top in terms of insurers' risk assessments? Well, the lowest risk group, it seems, is comprised of married, middle-aged women who don't smoke [source: All Insurance Info].
Author's Note: 5 Unusual Things that Raise Your Car Insurance Rates
I just can't catch a break with this insurance stuff! After researching a few other insurance articles over the past few weeks, I realized it was time to drop the collision and comprehensive coverage we were carrying on two older vehicles. Score -- more money! But during my research for this piece, I learned insurers raise rates on drivers once they hit 50. Guess who just turned 50? I can't win. I just can't win.
- All Insurance Info. "Factors Affecting Auto Insurance Rates." (March 6, 2012) http://allinsuranceinfo.org/auto/rates.html
- Auto Insurance. "Factors that Determine Your Auto Insurance Rates." (March 16, 2012) http://www.autoinsurance.org/factors-that-determine-your-auto-insurance-rates/
- Car Insurance Comparison. "When does car insurance go down?" (March 16, 2012) http://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/when-does-car-insurance-go-down/
- Casey, Craig. "19 reasons why car insurance premiums increase." 4 Car Insurance Quotes. (March 13, 2012) http://www.4carinsurancequotes.com/premium-increases.htm
- Dykman, April. "Traffic Violations and Your Auto Insurance." Fox Business. June 21, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/06/21/traffic-violations-and-your-auto-insurance/
- Environmental Defense Fund. "Drive less, pay less for insurance." (March 13, 2012) http://www.edf.org/transportation/policy/pay-as-you-drive-insurance
- Hanks Car Insurance. "Do Married Couples Pay Less for Car Insurance?" (March 13, 2012) http://hankscarinsurance.com/do-married-couples-pay-less-for-car-insurance/
- Insurance. "Cheap auto insurance: Find cheap car insurance in 8 easy steps." Feb. 18, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/cheap-car-insurance.html
- Investopedia. "Will Filing An Insurance Claim Raise Your Rates?" Aug. 13, 2008. (March 13, 2012) http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/08/claim-raise-rates.asp#axzz1ovxwkSz8
- J.D. Chapman Agency, Inc. "Frequently Asked Questions." (March 13, 2012) http://www.jdchapmaninc.com/faqs.html
- MSN Money. "2 Things Your Auto Insurer Won't Tell You." (March 13, 2012) http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/reference/PC/0027a.htm
- MSN Money. (Article reported by Chris Kissell for Insurance.com.) "Pay-as-you-go insurance on the rise." Sept. 15, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/pay-as-you-go-insurance-on-the-rise-insurance.aspx
- My Car Insurance Rates. "Why Auto Insurance Rates Increase." (March 16, 2012) http://www.mycarinsurancerates.com/why-auto-insurance-rates-increase/
- New York Car Insurance. "Why do New York Car Insurance Carriers Raise my Rates?" (March 13, 2012) http://www.newyorkcarinsurance.com/why-insurance-carriers-raise-rates.html
- NHTSA. "The Scope of the Issue." (March 16, 2012) http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/olddrive/CommMobilityDementia/pages/ScopeOfIssue.htm
- Roberts-Grey, Gina. "Auto insurance premiums tied to credit score." Daily Finance. Jan. 29, 2010. (March 13, 2012) http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/01/29/auto-insurance-premiums-tied-to-credit-score/
- Woodyard, Chris. "Are seniors or teens safer drivers? The surprising answer." USA Today. May 20, 2010. (March 16, 2012) http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/05/are-seniors-or-teens-safer-drivers-the-answer-may-surprise/1#.T2QBN3nNmkY
Is your car over-insured? Learn how to tell if your car has too much insurance at HowStuffWorks.