Craigslist is like the Mom and Pop shop of the internet. It may not look like much, but you'll be amazed at the things you can find. Craigslist is an internationally popular website used for posting jobs, items for sale, real estate, services and personal ads. Take advantage of this free service by creating your own advertisement. Read the steps listed below and learn how to post an ad on Craigslist.
- Type the URL http://craigslist.org into your browser.
- Click on the link, "create a posting," that is located on the upper left hand side of the screen.
- Choose the location that best fits your posting.
- Click on the type of post you want to place. Choices include jobs, housing, items for sale, services and personals. Depending on what you choose, you will either be taken to a list of options that apply to your post or a list of specified categories.
- Click the option that best applies to your post or the category that best describes your post.
- Fill in the applicable fields when you arrive at the window to describe your post. Keep your posting title concise and clear. Ensure that all the fields are fully filled in.
- Click the "continue" button.
- Click on the map to pinpoint your location or type in your exact location – street, cross street, city and postal code – and click the "find" button.
- Upload any images that pertain to your ad.
- Review the mock ad for incorrect or confusing information and spelling mistakes. If you want to edit the ad, click on the "edit post" button. It will take you back to the previous screen. You can also edit the location and images. If you're pleased, click the "publish" button.
- Check your email. Craigslist will send you an email that will enable you to publish, edit or delete your posting. The link expires in 30 minutes.
- Once you've clicked the link, it's time to set up your account. You can either type in a password or go without a password.
- You have now posted your ad on Craigslist.
Note: You can post an ad on Craigslist without setting up an account, but setting up one will allow you to be able to edit, delete or post more easily. Without that step, if you do need to make changes, you'll need to use the link that was originally sent to your email.
How to Post Using the Craigslist App
- Download the Craigslist mobile app from the Apple Store or Google Play.
- Once you install and open the app, tap the "get started" button.
- You can either share your location or tap "not now." You can type in a ZIP/postal code that best fits your posting if you decide not to share your current location. Tap the "choose this location" button if the area on the map matches your current location.
- Tap the "post" button (plus sign) on the bottom center of the screen to get started on your ad.
- Similar to the steps above, you can choose an image, fill in the applicable fields that describe your ad and confirm your location.
- If you're pleased, click the "publish" button. Your ad on Craigslist will be live.
Originally Published: Apr 19, 2011