Managers aren't mind-readers and neither are you. Clear communication is essential to a successful working relationship.
If you feel comfortable -- particularly if you already have a few years of work experience under your belt -- request a one-on-one meeting with your direct supervisor to talk about communication and managerial style. Some managers like to be informed of everything: client contacts, project updates, problems that arise. Others take a more hands-off approach, preferring that you only bother them with the big news.
By understanding your boss's communication expectations and management style, you'll avoid some of the bumpy learning opportunities during the first weeks of a new job and jump straight into a smooth and productive relationship.
For more information about work life and office etiquette, look at the links below.
More Great Links
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Employment Situation Summary." July 2, 2010.http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
- CareerBuilder.com. "18 Ways to Impress a New Employer"http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-514-The-Workplace-18-Ways-to-Impress-a-New-Employer/
- Grobart, Sam. "Allow me to introduce myself (properly)." Money. December 27, 2006http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/27/magazines/moneymag/newguy.moneymag/index.htm
- Huhman, Heather. "Preparing for your first day of work." Examiner.com. January 27, 2010http://www.examiner.com/x-828-Entry-Level-Careers-Examiner~y2009m1d27-Preparing-for-your-first-day-of-work
- Lorenz, Kate. CareerBuilder.com. "Too Much Skin: 10 Taboos for Office Attire"http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-666-The-Workplace-Too-Much-Skin-10-Taboos-for-Office-Attire/?ArticleID=666&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=a5687050c2fc4bb1a90e185253b8b8c3-331380489-wf-6
- Sahadi, Jeanne. "The get-started guide to making it." CNN Money. August 24, 2006http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/23/commentary/sahadi/index.htm
- Vogt, Peter. "Have a Great First Day." Monster.com.http://career-advice.monster.com/in-the-office/starting-a-new-job/have-a-great-first-day/article.aspx
- Weiss, Tara. "How to Behave at Your First Job." Forbes.com.http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-how_to_behave_at_your_first_job-1337
How to Create an Action Plan for a New Job