If you happened to ride the subway in Seoul, South Korea in the summer of 2009 and caught the train at Sindorim Station, you may have found yourself walking on a red carpet leading toward the shopping area surrounding the station. This red carpet was part of Nikon's campaign for their D700 digital SLR camera.
As commuters walked along the red carpet and past a billboard of photographers taking aim at them, they tripped a sensor that set off simulated flashes. The paparazzi treatment was well-placed: The mall that the red carpet led to came complete with a Nikon store.
- Adland. "Feed SA trolley - ambient, South Africa." July 14, 2008.http://adland.tv/ooh/feed-sa-trolley-ambient-south-africa
- Ads of the World. "Nationwide Insurance: spilt paint." Accessed November 24, 2010. http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/nationwide_insurance_spilt_paint?>
- Ads of the World. "Swiss Skydive: Free Fall." Accessed November 29, 2010. http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/swiss_skydive_free_fall
- Chan, Cheryl. "Bus-shelter ads nothing to sneeze at." Times-Colonist. September 12, 2007. http://www.oaaa.org/press/news/news.aspx?NewsId=385
- Coloribus. "Amnesty International eye tracking." Accessed November 30, 2010. http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/outdoor-ambient-online/amnesty-international-eye-tracking-13354105/
- Chua, Jasmine Malik. "FarFoods: food-mile labeling lays on guilt trip." TreeHugger. August 11, 2009. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/08/far-foods.php
- DSLR Camera and Lenses News. "Nikon D700 DSLR paparazzi advertising in Korea." July 16, 2009. http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/nikon-d700-dslr-paparazzi-advertising-in-korea,5763.html
- Feed SA. "About Feed SA." Accessed November 24, 2010.http://www.feedsa.co.za/
- Mackler, B. "35 of the most creative and innovative advertising campaigns for your inspiration." Design Tutorials 4 U. Accessed November 29, 2010.http://designtutorials4u.com/35-of-the-most-creative-and-innovative-advertising-campaigns-for-your-inspiration/
- Mamuk, Sandeep. "Science Diet dog food - Cannes 2007 Lions Winner." 2wenty 4our. June 20, 2007. http://sandeepmakam.blogspot.com/2007/06/science-diet-dog-food-cannes-2007-lions.html
- McWilliams, James. "Food that travels well." New York Times. August 6, 2007. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/opinion/06mcwilliams.html
- Moncour, Laura. "'Obesity is Suicide' ad campaign." Starling Fitness. April 23, 2008.http://www.starling-fitness.com/archives/2008/04/23/%E2%80%98obesity-is-suicide%E2%80%99-ad-campaign/
- My Modern Met. "Nikon D700: The interactive ad that makes you the star!" July 16, 2009. http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/nikon-d700-the-interactive-ad
- The Inspiration Room. "Alka-Seltzer Christmas Hangover." December 31, 2008. http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2008/alka-seltzer-christmas-hangover/
- Toxel. "Clever and creative billboard advertising." January 5, 2009. http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/01/05/clever-and-creative-billboard-advertising/
Several major companies have been under fire recently for offensive marketing tactics and ads. HowStuffWorks looks at a few that have made headlines in recent years.