If you're interested in learning how investments, tax laws and other financial decisions impact the bottom line, working as a financial planner or advisor could be a great way to help others while avoiding a daily corporate commute. Because financial planners can meet with clients in a variety of settings, from the local coffee shop to the client's own home, it's a simple matter to run this enterprise as a home-based business. And, with salaries in this field exceeding $100,000, you could afford to make a few smart investments of your own [source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics].
In addition, telecommuting could increase your job satisfaction. A July 2011 survey of telecommuters found that more than 85 percent reported higher productivity and happiness when working from home instead of a corporate office. For financial planners, the ability to work at home without interruption can result in less stress, too [source: McConville].
For more information about telecommuting careers and related topics, check out the links below.
- All Business. "The Top 25 Home-Based Business Ideas." (Dec. 16, 2011) http://www.allbusiness.com/top-25-home-based-businesses/16659292-1.html
- Beeler, Carolyn. "Outsourced Call Centers Return, to U.S. Homes." NPR. Aug. 25, 2010. (Dec. 16, 2011) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129406588
- Goudreau, Jenna. "The Best-Paying Work-at-Home Jobs." Forbes. Sept. 27, 2011. (Dec. 20, 2011) http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2011/09/27/the-best-paying-work-at-home-jobs/
- International Virtual Assistants Association. "101 Ways to Use a Virtual Assistant." (Dec. 16, 2011) http://www.ivaa.org/general/custom.asp?page=101WaysToUseaVA
- McConnville, Jim. "Telecommuters More Production, Financial Workers Say." Financial Advisor Magazine. July 21, 2011. (Dec. 16, 2011) http://www.fa-mag.com/fa-news/8004-telecommuting-and-financial-services-industry-make-good-mix-.html
- Peterson, Erin. "Five Great Second Jobs for Extra Cash." Fox Business. Oct. 12, 2011. (Dec. 16, 2011) http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/10/12/5-great-second-jobs-for-extra-cash/
- Public Relations Society of America. "Solo Practitioner Survey Results: 2008." November 2008. (Dec. 16, 2011) http://www.prsa.org/SearchResults/view/2D-0011/0/Solo_Practitioner_Survey_Results_2008
- Reuteman, Rob. "Companies Embrace Telecommuting as a Retention Tool." CNBC. Sept. 30, 2011. (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.cnbc.com/id/44612830
- Rubin, Courtney. "At What Price Happiness." Inc. Sept. 7, 2010. (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.inc.com/news/articles/2010/09/study-says-$75,000-can-buy-happiness.html
- Telework Research Network. "How Many People Telecommute?" (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.teleworkresearchnetwork.com/research/people-telecommute
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Accountants and Auditors." (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos001.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Computer Software Engineers and Computer Programmers." (Dec. 20, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos303.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "News Analysts, Reporters and Correspondents." (Dec. 20, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos088.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Personal Financial Advisors." (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos302.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Computer Support Specialists." (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos306.htm
- Weston, Liz Pulliam. "Real Work at Home Jobs." Bundle. Dec. 20, 2009. (Dec. 15, 2011) http://www.bundle.com/article/real-work-at-home-jobs-7142/
The Peabody ducks are famous worldwide. Meet the Duckmaster who keeps them all in line with HowStuffWorks.