Do What You Love
It might seem a bit obvious, but the best way to find a job you love is to, well, do what you love. If a job that matches your interests isn't quite as obvious to you, evaluate your life. What are your hobbies? What makes you smile? Do you like being outdoors? Do you love kids? Once you figure out what your interests are and what makes you happiest, you can start looking for jobs that involve those things. Have you been working as a bank teller but dreaming of perfectly frosted cupcakes? Why not take a chance and try your hand as a baker? Before opening your own bakery, you could take a job at your local grocery store bakery. If you're an outdoors enthusiast, you would be surprised to find out how many jobs allow you to work outside. A simple Internet search suggests things like a skydiving instructor or wildlife rehabilitator; even a job as an EMT allows you to be outdoors. Writers and photographers can usually work wherever they want. Simply figure out what you love to do, and your research will lead you to the right job for you.
- ARAcontent. "Don't Compromise: You Can Find a Job That Fits Your Values." City5nc.com. Dec. 13, 2007. (July 13, 2011) http://city5nc.com/blog/don't-compromise-you-can-find-a-job-that-fits-your-values.html
- Boer, Pat. "Work Values Checklist." Monster.com. (July 13, 2011) http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/Career-Assessment/Work-Values-Check-List/article.aspx
- Boston College. "Using Resume Keywords." Aug. 2, 2010. (July 13, 2011) http://www.bc.edu/offices/careers/skills/resumes/keywords.html
- Braccio Hering, Beth. "Asking for -- and maximizing -- the informational interview." CNN Living. April 7, 2010. (July 13, 2011) http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-07/living/cb.informational.interview.asking_1_informational-interview-job-interview-merrimack-college?_s=PM:LIVING
- Carroll, Joseph. "Workers' Average Commute Round-Trip Is 46 Minutes in a Typical Day." GALLUP. Aug. 24, 2007. (July 13, 2011) http://www.gallup.com/poll/28504/workers-average-commute-roundtrip-minutes-typical-day.aspx
- Chen, Stephanie. "Bad economy? Do what you love." CNN Living. Feb. 24, 2009. (July 13, 2011) http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-24/living/economy.career_1_dismal-job-market-economy-full-time-gig?_s=PM:LIVING
- Madden, Kaitlin. "7 jobs that pay you to play all day." Careerbuilder.com. July 19, 2010. (July 13, 2011) http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/19/cb.paid.to.play/index.html
- Madden, Kaitlin. "11 job search tips for 2011." Careerbuilder.com. Jan. 5, 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/01/05/cb.11.job.search.tips/index.html
- SimplyHired.com. "Find a Job You Love this Valentine's Day." Feb. 14, 2011 (July 13, 2011) http://blog.simplyhired.com/2011/02/find-a-job-you-love-this-valentines-day.html
- Vogt, Peter. "Examine Your Values to Find Career Happiness." Monster.com. (July 13, 2011) http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/career-assessment/examine-values-career-happiness/article.aspx
HowStuffWorks Now looks at a new twist in the sharing economy: renting your home for office space.