Think Beyond the Bulb
All of the ideas we've discussed provide great ideas to save money and conserve electricity, but they are not the only measures you can take. Although changing light bulbs with more energy-efficient bulbs and installing dimmer switchers will go a long way to reducing your electric bill, it's still important to think beyond the bulb. Installing motion sensors in each room is a great idea, especially if you have kids that forget to turn off the lights. Door-jamb switches, which automatically turn on the light when you open a door, are also convenient energy savers. And here's something that won't cost you a cent -- let the sun shine in. Natural light is a great way to brighten up your day. Clean those windows and open those drapes.
- 10 Budget Basics Every Parent Should Know
- 10 Green Living Ideas for Frugal Families
- 10 Tips for Staying on Budget
- 10 Tops for a Debt Free Life
- Can you penny pinch and still have fun? Frugal Living Quiz
- How Personal Budgets Work
- How to Know When to Spend and When to Save
- Why does having too many options make it harder to choose?
More Great Links
- EnergySavers.gov. "Energy Savers Booklet: Tips on Saving Energy & Money at Home." (Oct. 26, 2011). http://www.energysavers.gov/pdfs/energy_savers.pdf
- Outdoor Lighting Guide. "Outdoor Solar Lights Can Help You Save Money." (Oct. 26, 2011). http://www.outdoorlightingguide.net/outdoor-solar-lights.html
- EnergySavers.gov. "Lighting Choices Save You Money." (Oct. 26, 2011). http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/lighting_daylighting/index.cfm/mytopic=11975
- EnergySavers.gov. "When to Turn off Your Lights." (Oct. 26, 2011). http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/lighting_daylighting/index.cfm/mytopic=12280
- Glader, Paul. "Companies strive to build a better (more expensive) light bulb." Washington Post. Oct. 15, 2011. (Oct. 26, 2011). http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/companies-strive-to-build-a-better-more-expensive-light-bulb/2011/10/12/gIQAThBDkL_story.html
- Oldroyd, Carole. "Dimmer Switches for Energy Efficiency." National Geographic. (Oct. 26, 2011). http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/dimmer-switches-energy-efficiency-2245.html
- Pacific Gas & Electric. "Residential Lighting Information." (Oct. 26, 2011). http://www.pge.com/myhome/saveenergymoney/rebates/light/products/
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.