Want to know a dirty little secret to staying organized? Don't pretend like you can.
Instead of trying to wrestle your work anxieties and duties into place, set realistic goals about what you can control and what you need to let go of. Setting small, reasonable objectives for accomplishing job-related tasks will allow you to stay on track while still maintaining a sense of accomplishment [source: Bomkamp]. It's also a great way for you to remind yourself what you can do, as opposed to what you need to do.
Along the way, communicate your status on projects to coworkers or superiors; you'll stay on track and get feedback as you go. Being specific about your goals is important, too. Instead of just vaguely telling yourself to "get a lot done" at work that day, give yourself specific assignments, like finishing up a report before noon.
Are you feeling more realistic and organized already? To congratulate yourself, read on for lots more information and work-related tips.
- Bomkamp, Samantha. "How to get organized when work piles up." Associated Press. Feb. 1, 2020. (Jan. 19, 2012) http://www.mainstreet.com/article/career/how-get-organized-when-work-piles
- Cigna Behavioral Health. "Eight tips to help you get organized at work." (Jan. 19, 2012) http://www.cignabehavioral.com/web/basicsite/consumer/educationAndResourceCenter/articleLibrary/focus_work9.pdf
- Myers, Barbara. "Organize your desk in eight steps." LifeOrganizers.com. 2006. (Jan. 19, 2012) http://lifeorganizers.com/cm_articles/39_organize_your_desk_in_8_steps_497.html
- Peraino, Joe. "Organizing yourself from the inside out: Keys to increased productivity and creativity." Attention Deficit Disorders Association, Southern Region. 2008. (Jan. 19, 2012) https://www.addasr.org/reading/Articles/Peranioorganizing.htm
- Poole, Pamela. "The 5S process for getting organized." Gigaom.com. Feb. 4, 2010. (Jan.19, 2012) http://gigaom.com/collaboration/the-5s-process-for-getting-organized/
- Rosen, Christine. "The Myth of Multitasking." The New Atlantis. No. 20. 2008. (Jan. 19, 2012) http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-myth-of-multitasking
How to Create an Action Plan for a New Job