Who said a 9-to-5 job has to be drudgery? It doesn't matter whether you're producing movies or computer chips, the work day can be as fun and exciting as your company wants to make it.
If you visit Hyland Software in Cleveland, Ohio, on any given afternoon, you might find employees racing paper airplanes in the atrium or relaxing in recliners and listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean in the company's "rejuvenation station." Other companies have set aside a break area for their employees to "hang out," or bring in an ice cream truck once a month.
You don't have to come up with these kinds of creative ideas yourself. There are companies that specialize in coming up with and implementing employee perks that will do all the work for you.
Giving employees as little as 15 minutes a day to cut loose can make them much more appreciative -- and productive -- when they do need to put their noses to the grindstone.
For more information on succeeding at work, see the links below.
- "100 Best Companies to Work For." Fortune. (Aug. 18, 2010.) http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2010/snapshots/1.html.
- Case, John. "The Power of Listening." Inc. March 1, 2003. (Aug. 20, 2010) http://www.inc.com/magazine/20030301/25206.html.
- Chafkin, Max. "The Zappos Way of Managing." Inc. May 1, 2009. (Aug. 20, 2010) http://www.inc.com/magazine/20090501/the-zappos-way-of-managing.html.
- Fenson, Sarah. "Do as I Say: Quick Tips for Masterful Communication." Inc. March 29, 2000. http://www.inc.com/articles/2000/03/18145.html.
- Gill, Jennifer. "Squelching Office Conflicts." Inc. November 1, 2005. (Aug. 20, 2010) http://www.inc.com/magazine/20051101/handson-managing.html.
- Hakala, David. "How to Be Sensitive to Cultural and Religious Differences." HR World. May 21, 2008. (Aug. 20, 2010)http://www.hrworld.com/features/cultural-religious-sensitivity-052108/.
- Inc. Staff. "7 Tips for Motivating Employees." April 20, 2010. (Aug. 20, 2010) http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/04/tips-for-motivating-employees.html.
- Kaplan, David A. "SAS is the Best Company to Work For." CNN. January 21, 2010. (Aug. 18, 2010) http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/21/technology/sas_best_companies.fortune/
- Perkins, Olivera. "Northeast Ohio Companies Encourage Employees to Have Fun at Work." Cleveland.com. June 20, 2010. (Aug. 20, 2010)http://www.cleveland.com/best-workplaces/blog/index.ssf/2010/06/northeast_ohio_companies_encourage_employees_to_have_fun_at_work.html.
- Walters, Jamie and Sarah Fenson. "A Crash Course in Communication." Inc. August 1, 2000. (Aug. 17, 2010)http://www.inc.com/articles/2000/08/20000.html.
- Wellner, Allison Stein. "Lost in Translation." Inc. September 1, 2005. (Aug. 18, 2010) http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050901/managing.html.
- Williams, Ray B. "How to Motivate Employees: What Managers Need to Know." Psychology Today. February 13, 2010. (Aug. 20, 2010)http://www.psychologytoday.com/node/38326.
How to Create an Action Plan for a New Job