Lots More Information
You're a human. You need a house. Should you buy one or rent one?
Author's Note: 10 Things to Leave Off Your Résumé
Heading into the research for this article, I had a pretty good idea of the basic "don'ts" of résumé writing. I've certainly written plenty of them (freelance writers send out a lot of résumés, and friends and family often come to the one writer they know for help with their résumés). I knew a photograph was a bad idea, and that age, religious affiliation and marital status were all things an employer wouldn't want to see for fear of violating civil rights laws. I was surprised, though, that résumé design had shifted so much in the last 10 years or so – my own résumé still had references, and while I'd ditched the objective years ago because I felt it was poor design, I didn't realize that it had become so verboten.
- Green, Alison. "7 Things to Leave Off Your Resume." U.S. News and World Report, March 2, 2009. (Feb. 22, 2012.) http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2009/03/02/7-things-to-leave-off-your-resume
- Jones, Elka. "Getting back to work: Returning to the labor force after an absence." U.S. Dept. of Labor Occupational Outlook Quarterly, Winter 2004-05. (Feb. 22, 2012.) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.bls.gov/opub/ooq/2004/winter/art03.pdf&sa=U&ei=yrhGT56fGMa0gwfMy_H9DQ&ved=0CAoQFjAD&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEo0qFHvaJxFzXB2-32XxIgWX5Jfw
- Sears, Donald. "Resume Objective Statements Are So 10 Years Ago." The Ladders, July 14, 2009. (Feb. 22, 2012.) http://www.career-line.com/resume-advice/resume-objective-statements-are-so-10-years-ago/
- Thakkar, Nimish. "Top 5 Resume Myths Exposed." The Ladders, Sept. 24, 2008. (Feb. 22, 2012.) http://www.theladders.com/career-advice/top-5-resume-myths-exposed
- U.S. Department of Labor. "Résumés, applications and cover letters." Occupational Outlook Quarterly, Summer 2009. (Feb. 22, 2012.) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.bls.gov/opub/ooq/2009/resume.pdf&sa=U&ei=yrhGT56fGMa0gwfMy_H9DQ&ved=0CAQQFjAA&client=internal-udscse&usg=AFQjCNH3qt7P_4ZGSyX0F7CCwXZ_UnLasw