Author's Note: How Standardized Patients Work
An acquaintance of mine is a dermatologist, and when I told her I was writing about standardized patients, she laughed. (Oddly enough, she took her standardized patient exam for licensure at the same hospital where Kramer was fictionally undergoing his exam, the Morchand Center for Clinical Competence in New York.) At that laugh, I got excited, ready to get some juicy stories for my article. My research didn't turn up much on the doctor's perspective. Sadly, she claims she doesn't remember much. It was in 2001, she says, too long ago. All she told me was, "It was bizarre." She declined to elaborate. It's killing me.
- Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE). "About ASPE." (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.aspeducators.org/node/48
- Brown, Eryn. "Actors draw med school students into caregiver role." The Los Angeles Times. Feb. 14, 2014. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-medical-actors-20140224-dto-htmlstory.html#axzz2uRzFuIdd
- Fulmer, Val. Director, Standardized Patient Program, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Email interview. Dec. 11, 2014.
- Grand Valley State University (GVSU). "Simulation Center – Standard Patient Program." Office of the Vice Provost for Health. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.gvsu.edu/vphealth/simulation-center-standard-patient-program-45.htm
- Howard, Valerie M. "High-Fidelity Nursing Education." Minority Nurse. (Dec. 15, 2014) http://www.minoritynurse.com/article/high-fidelity-nursing-education
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. "Minikin-Based Simulations." Simulation Center. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/simulation_center/training/manikin_based_simulations/index.html
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. "Standardized Patient Program." Simulation Center. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/simulation_center/training/standardized_patient_program/
- Lewis, Karen, Ph.D. Administrative Director, Clinical Learning and Simulation Skills Center at George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Email interview. Dec. 11, 2014.
- Mariposa Medical Center. "What is all the fuss about the Minikin?" The Simulation Center. (Dec. 15, 2014) http://mihs.org/uploads/sites/19/SVCPrograms/Manikin2013.pdf
- SimuLab. "About the TraumaMan System." (Dec. 15, 2014) http://www.simulab.com/about-traumaman-system
- SimuLab. "Life or Death Decision: TraumaMan Offers Humane, Effective Way to Learn Trauma Care." (Dec. 15, 2014) http://www.simulab.com/life-or-death-decision-traumaman-offers-humane-effective-way-learn-trauma-care
- Sun, Lena H. "Demand is high for pretend patients." The Washington Post. Oct. 13, 2011. (Dec. 15, 2014) http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/demand-is-high-for-standardized-patients/2011/10/07/gIQA2PChiL_story.html
- University of Colorado at Denver (CU Denver) School of Medicine. "Standardized Patients." Center for Advancing Professional Excellence. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/education/cape/Programs/SP/Pages/SPs_2.aspx
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. "Standardized Patient Frequently Asked Questions." Office of Medical Education. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.omed.pitt.edu/standardized/faq.php