Lots More Information
The IRS or Internal Revenue Service handles taxes. Learn about the history of the IRS and how it enforces taxes.
Author's Note: 10 Surprising Tax Preparation Tips
As a small business owner who works from home, I was most surprised -- in a good way -- by the simplification of the home office tax deduction. For years I've struggled with how to figure out how much to deduct -- I'm a writer, not an accountant. That one change, though, makes me think I can maybe do my own taxes this year, with the help of an online program for guidance. If you're on the fence, take a look at new tax regulations and do a little bit of research up front. Maybe this is the year you can dive into the deep end of the tax pool on your own. I'll look for you there -- I'll be the one wearing the life preserver, just in case.
- Bell, Kay. "10 Year-End Tax Moves to Make." Bankrate. 2013. (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/10-year-end-tax-moves-to-make-1.aspx
- HealthCare.gov. "Exemptions from the Fee for Not Having Health Coverage." (Nov. 12, 2014) https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/exemptions-from-the-fee/
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). "Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions for Individuals and Families." June 3, 2014. (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/Affordable-Care-Act-Tax-Provisions-for-Individuals-and-Families
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). "Deducting Medical and Dental Expenses." Feb. 26, 2014. (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Deducting-Medical-and-Dental-Expenses
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). "Retirement Topics - 401(k) and Profit-Sharing Plan Contribution Limits." July 3, 2014. (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Retirement-Topics-401k-and-Profit-Sharing-Plan-Contribution-Limits
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). "Simplified Option for Home Office Deduction." Aug. 19, 2014. (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Simplified-Option-for-Home-Office-Deduction
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). "Top 10 Tips About Free Tax Preparation." Jan. 29, 2014. (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Top-10-Tips-about-Free-Tax-Preparation
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS). "Treasury and IRS Announce That All Legal Same-Sex Marriages Will Be Recognized For Federal Tax Purposes; Ruling Provides Certainty, Benefits and Protections Under Federal Tax Law for Same-Sex Married Couples." Aug. 29, 2013. (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Treasury-and-IRS-Announce-That-All-Legal-Same-Sex-Marriages-Will-Be-Recognized-For-Federal-Tax-Purposes%3B-Ruling-Provides-Certainty,-Benefits-and-Protections-Under-Federal-Tax-Law-for-Same-Sex-Married-Couples
- Rosen, Elizabeth. "Free Tax Preparation Tips." US Tax Center (IRS). Feb. 11, 2014. (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.irs.com/articles/tax-preparation-tips-2
- TurboTax. "Documents You Should Save for Tax Time." 2013. (Oct. 13, 2014) https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Taxes-101/Documents-You-Should-Save-for-Tax-Time/INF26179.html
- TurboTax. "Tax Planning for Beginners." 2013. (Oct. 13, 2014) https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Taxes-101/Tax-Planning-for-Beginners/INF26192.html
- Yochim, Dayana. "Get it Done: Prepare to Prepare." Motley Fool. 2014. (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/taxes/get-it-done-prepare-to-prepare.aspx