Lots More Information
The most sweeping tax overhaul in decades became law in December 2017. HowStuffWorks explains what taxpayers can do to benefit from the tax changes.
Author's Note: 10 IRS Rules for the Home Office Deduction
As a self-employed person, it's pretty easy for me to claim a home office deduction because I don't have to itemize my deductions to do it; it's a business expense. But if itemizing works in your favor, by all means follow the rules and claim the deduction. It's thrilling to write off a portion of that Internet bill.
- Eisenberg, Richard. "Secrets of Claiming a Home-Office Deduction." Forbes. Feb. 8, 2013. (Oct. 4, 2014) http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2013/02/08/secrets-of-claiming-a-home-office-deduction/
- Fishman, Stephan. "The Simplified Home Office Deduction." Nolo. 2014. (Oct. 4, 2014) http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/irs-creates-simplified-home-office-deduction.html
- Fishman, Stephen. "The Simplified Home Office Deduction." Nolo. 2014. (Oct. 4, 2014) http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/irs-creates-simplified-home-office-deduction.html
- IRS. "Home Office Deduction." Oct. 1, 2014. (Oct. 4, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Home-Office-Deduction
- IRS. "Publication 587." 2013. (Oct. 4, 2014) http://www.irs.gov/publications/p587/index.html
- TurboTax. "The Home Office Deduction." Intuit. 2013. (Oct. 4, 2014) https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Small-Business-Taxes/The-Home-Office-Deduction/INF12067.html