Car insurance companies charge young people extra because they have a reputation of taking more risks on the road, and therefore having more accidents. One part of your life where you can afford a little risk, though, is in your retirement savings.
If you're in your 20s, you probably have 40 years or more before you'll retire and start depending on your savings. This gives you a lot of time to ride out dips in the market and still come out on top. Many employers offer target-date funds, which allow you to pick the year when you think you'll retire. The investment manager invests your money in a way that takes some risk now and plays it safe as you get closer to retirement. Read the plan's prospectus to see if it's right for you, and consider hiring a certified financial planner (CFP) to advise you if you're not sure. Your friends might think you're taking things too seriously, but they won't be there to pay the mortgage when you retire.
Manage your money wisely, and you can make your 60s just as much fun as your 20s.
- Bankrate.com. "Age-Specific Investment Advice." (Jan. 20, 2011.)http://www.bankrate.com/finance/financial-literacy/age-specific-investment-advice-1.aspx
- Consumers Union. "Credit Card Tips for College Students." (Jan. 14, 2011.)http://www.westchestergov.com/pdfs/PARENTSKIDS_CreditCardTips.pdf
- Monster Money. "How Much Should You Save?" 2007. (Jan. 17, 2011.)http://resources.monster.com/money/money-saving-tips.asp
- Orman, Suze. "Emergency Planning Remains Job # 1." May 1, 2009. (Jan. 17, 2011.)http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=SP&SRCN=suzescoop&GnavID=1&SnavID=134&NewsID=183
- PBS. "Young People Taking on More Debt." May 25, 2005. (Jan. 14, 2011.)http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features/jan-june05/debt_5-25.html
- Rogers, Nikki. Personal interview. Jan. 16, 2011.
- USA Today. "Young People Struggle to Deal with Kiss of Debt." Nov. 22, 2006. (Jan. 16, 2011.)http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/credit/2006-11-19-young-and-in-debt-cover_x.htm
Student loans are great for tuition, but are they also good for buying a car? Find out if you can use student loans to buy a used car.