Living in the Moment
Have you ever wondered why time seems to pass more quickly as you get older? David Eagleman, a neuroscientist at Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, believes that childhood memories create the illusion of stretching time because they're so rich in detail. The more intense the memory, the more time seems protracted when you look back on it. The flip side of that notion is that the more cursory a memory happens to be, the faster the experience of it will feel.
How many times have you driven to work without remembering much of the ride because your mind was on something else? Experiencing a richer existence may be as easy as finding ways to live in the moment instead of zoning out. For kids, there's no cruise control on life. If you want the full measure for all your days, slow down and pay closer attention to the little things. When you find your mind wandering, change your focus. Remain in the here and now. This is where the action is.
- Bier, Brian J. "A Child's Determination: What Can You Learn from It?" 2003. (1/29/11).http://www.mlmknowhow.com/articles/motivation/child.htm
- Breastfeeding Basics. "Thinking of Having Kids?" Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/thinking_of_having_children.shtml
- CDC. "Are You Getting Enough Sleep." Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.cdc.gov/Partners/Archive/Sleep/index.html
- Covey, Sean. "The 7 Habits of Happy Kids." Simon & Schuster. 2008
- Dixit, Jay. "The Art of Now: Six Steps to Living in the Moment." Psychology Today. 11/1/8. (1/29/11).http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200810/the-art-now-six-steps-living-in-the-moment?page=2
- Dr. Standley. "Keep on Laughing. Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.drstandley.com/facts_laughing.shtml
- Giving New Meaning to Parenting. "The Healing Power Of A Child's Unconditional Love." 2/2/07. (1/29/11).http://gnmparents.com/the-healing-power-ofa-childs-unconditional-love/
- Help Guide. "Laughter is the Best Medicine." Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm
- Hemrajani, Deepti. "Good Sleep Habits." Stanford University. Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.stanford.edu/~davesv/Sleep%20Hygiene%2002-10.ppt
- Jio, Sarah. "10 Foods That Can Help You Sleep." Woman's Day. Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Health/10-Foods-That-Can-Help-You-Sleep.html
- Kids Health. "Your Child's Habits." Undated. (1/29/11).http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/five_habits.html
- Krulwich, Robert. "Why Does Time Fly By As You Get Older?" NPR. 2/1/10. (1/29/11).http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122322542
- Newsweek "Having Kids Makes You Happy." 7/28/08. (1/29/11).http://www.newsweek.com/2008/06/28/having-kids-makes-you-happy.html
- Purdue University. "Fun Facts." Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.purdue.edu/wro/raconnection.shtml
- Random Thoughts. "A Child's Belief in Magic." 12/24/10. (1/29/11).http://wwwjackbenimble.blogspot.com/2010/12/childs-belief-in-magic.html
- Shirley, Philip. "500 Great Things About Life." 4/18/10. (1/29/11).http://www.500greatthings.blogspot.com/
- Sleep for Kids. "Understanding Children's Sleep Habits." Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.sleepforkids.org/html/habits.html
- Solomon, Perez. "50 Things That Remind Us of Childhood." Undated. (1/29/11).http://perezsolomon.com/2010/07/16/50-things-that-remind-us-of-childhood/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. "Take Small Steps Today." Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.smallstep.gov/take_small_steps_today.html
- U.S. National Institute on Aging. "Frequently Asked Questions." Undated. (1/29/11).http://www.nia.nih.gov/HealthInformation/Publications/ExerciseGuide/07_questions.htm
Student loans are great for tuition, but are they also good for buying a car? Find out if you can use student loans to buy a used car.