Even if you're taking a stay-cation because you don't have the funds to pay for a real vacation, you don't have to pinch pennies the entire time. In fact, we're ordering you to splurge at least once: An indulgent treat is your reward for saving so much by staying home, and the cost will be a drop in the bucket compared to the expense of travel costs and hotel rooms. Here are some ideas to make your stay-cation extra special.
- Rent a car. We're not talking a bare-bones sedan here. Get a sporty convertible for a day trip or a luxury SUV for a family trek to an amusement park.
- Get a private chef. An evening at a posh restaurant might not be the best idea if you have three kids, so have a chef come to you. Relax in the living room with a cocktail, enjoy a gourmet meal and don't clean up. Perfect.
- Hire a maid. You shouldn't have to mop and dust on vacation, even if you are at home. A professional cleaning will add that extra bit of relaxation and peace of mind.
- Paint the town red. Buy a fabulous new outfit, send the kids to Grandma's or a friend's house and hit the town. Spend the saved babysitter funds on fancy cocktails and a swanky hotel room for the night.
This is just a start since we're sure it won't be hard to think of more ways to pamper yourself. Check out the links below for more stay-cation ideas.
More Great Links
- Alban, Debra. "Staycations: Alternative to Pricey, Stressful Travel." CNN. June 12, 2008. (May 3, 2011) http://articles.cnn.com/2008-06-12/living/balance.staycation_1_staycation-vacation-stressful-travel?_s=PM:LIVING
- Buckland, Lyndsay. "Mystery Staycation for Royal Couple." The Scotsman. May 1, 2011. (May 3, 2011)http://news.scotsman.com/news/Mystery-staycation-for-royal-couple.6760531.jp
- Leamy, Elisabeth. "Tips for Planning a Great 'Staycation'." ABC News. May 23, 2008. (May 3, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=4919211
- Oliver, Marie Elizabeth. "Our Best 'Staycation' Ideas." Better Homes & Gardens. (May 3, 2011)http://www.bhg.com/health-family/activities/seasonal/staycation/
- Terrapass. "Carbon Footprint Calculator." (May 3, 2011)http://www.terrapass.com/carbon-footprint-calculator/#air