You're waiting at the airport and you've just heard that your plane is stuck in another city. Maybe the weather is keeping it grounded. Maybe it needs a part. Flight delays are common and unavoidable -- for your carrier. You, on the other hand, might still be able to get where you're going on time.
If you can't reach your destination on time because of a flight delay with the airline you bought the ticket from, that airline is required to put you on a competitors' flight if that flight will get you there sooner than the original airline's next scheduled flight. Of course, the competitor's plane must have an available seat for this rule to apply.
- Bardi, Jason Socrates. "Germs On a Plane: Flying With the Flu." U.S. News. Science. Oct. 28, 2009. (April 10, 2011) http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/2009/10/28/germs-on-a-plane-flying-with-the-flu
- DeMarche, Edmund. "Another Air Traffic Controller Accused of Sleeping on the Job." Fox News. April 6, 2011. (April 10, 2011) http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/06/second-air-traffic-controller-sleeping-shift/
- DeNoon, Daniel. "Planes, Trains, and ... Germs?" WebMD. Nov. 5, 2007. (April 10, 2011)http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47044
- Federal Aviation Administration. "Fact Sheet -- Pilot Flight Time, Rest, and Fatigue." Jan. 27, 2010. (April 10, 2011) http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=6762
- Howard, Clark. "Discount airlines roll out January fare sales." ClarkHoward.com. Jan. 5, 2011. (April 10, 2011)http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/travel/discount-airlines-roll-out-annual-january-fare-sal/nFmH/
- GAO. "Commercial Aviation: Better Information about Airline-Imposed Fees and the Refundability of Government-Imposed Taxes and Fees Could Benefit Consumers." Government Accountability Office. July 14, 2010. (April 10, 2011) http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-10-885T
- Howard, Clark. "Time to Buy Your Spring Travel." Clark Howard Videos. (April 10, 2011) http://www.clarkhoward.com/videos/travel/time-buy-your-spring-travel/vLT/
- NBC News Washington. "Air Traffic Controller Admits to Sleeping on the Job." March 25, 2011. (April 10, 2011) http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Air-Traffic-Supervisor-Accused-of-Sleeping-in-the-Tower-118548444.html
- McDermott, Anne. "Fly First Class at Walk-Up Coach Prices." Fare Compare. Jan. 13, 2011. (April 11, 2011) http://www.farecompare.com/articles/fly-first-class-at-walk-up-coach-prices/
- Rendon, Jim and AnnaMaria Androitis. "10 Things Your Airline Won't Tell You." Smart Money Magazine. (April 4, 2011) http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/10-things-your-airline-wont-tell-you-22910/
- Seaney, Rick. "Cheapest Days to Fly and Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets." Fare Compare. April 4, 2011. (April 11, 2011) http://www.farecompare.com/articles/tips-from-air-travel-insiders/
- Ward, Terry. "Five Things Airlines Don't Want You to Know." AOL Travel. Aug. 20, 2010. (April 4, 2011) http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/20/five-things-airlines-dont-want-you-to-know/
- Seaney, Rick. "Fly First Class at Coach Prices." ABC News. Money, Business Traveler. Feb. 27, 2008. (April 11, 2011) http://abcnews.go.com/Business/BusinessTravel/story?id=4345246&page=1
- Travel and Leisure Tips. "Upgrade with a Y-up economy-class fare." July 24, 2009. (April 11, 2011) http://www.travelandleisure.com/tips/6439-upgrade-with-a-y-up-economy-class-fare
- U.S. Department of Transportation. "Fly-Rights: A Consumer Guide to Air Travel." Aviation Consumer Protection and Enforcement. Aug. 31, 2010. (April 10, 2011) http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm
- Weikel, Dan. "FAA chief orders review of the agency's inspections of aging planes." Los Angeles Times. April 7, 2011. (April 10, 2011) http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/07/local/la-me-southwest-oversight-20110407
How can you plan a fun 'stay-cation'? Learn how to give yourself a much-needed break without breaking the bank by planning a fun 'stay-cation.'