Child-friendly Cell Phones
Kids are kids, and you need to think a little before simply handing your youngster his or her first cell phone. What if he or she promptly loses it at soccer practice, or starts receiving nasty messages from a bully? Or maybe, if the phone in question is a smartphone, surfing the Web for hours at a time will become a favorite activity.
Some cell phone carriers and manufacturers sell phones specifically aimed at pint-sized users. These phones are often brightly colored, with larger, easy-to-use buttons. Most also come with several special features to protect kids and ease them into the world of cell phone usage. For example, phones can be programmed to send and receive calls only to and from certain numbers, or to track where your child is via GPS.
Besides such special safety features, child-friendly phones may also come equipped with things like educational games. And to protect your pocketbook, some also come with a set number of minutes, no texting capability and no capacity to access the Internet.
If you take a little time to consider these various cell phone options (prepaid, disposable, made-for-kids, family plan vs. individual), then talk with your child about responsible cell phone usage, you should feel pretty confident when you finally place the phone in his or her hot little hand.
- Amazon. "Cell Phone Service Plans Help Guide." (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000117211
- Buck, Claudia. "Personal Finance: Tips offered for decisions on kids' first cellphones." Sacbee. Sept. 18, 2011. (Nov. 28, 2011) http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/18/3917148/claudia-buck-tips-offered-for.html
- Calling Mart. "T-Mobile To Go Prepaid Wireless Airtime Minutes Refill." (Dec. 7, 2011) http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=35&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
- Carroll, Linda. "Kids and cell phones: A crosswalk hazard?" MSNBC. Jan. 26, 2009. (Nov. 22, 2011) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28816271/ns/health-childrens_health/t/kids-cell-phones-crosswalk-hazard/
- CMCH TV. "Cell Phones." (Nov. 22, 2011) http://cmch.tv/mentors/hotTopic.asp?id=70
- Conger, Cristen. "Should Your Kid Get a Cell Phone?" ABC News. April 16, 2011. (Nov. 22, 2011) http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/kids-cell-phones-child-phone/story?id=13385091#.TsvGHHIg-Mk
- Coolest Gadgets. "Bic Disposable Pre-Charged Cellphones." (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20080711/bic-disposable-pre-charged-cellphones/
- Family T-Mobile. "Welcome to the family." (Nov. 28, 2011) http://family.t-mobile.com/
- Ferro, Mike. "Cell phones: disposable mobile phone finally hits the US." Tech Blorge. May 31, 2008. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/05/31/cell-phones-disposable-mobile-phones-finally-hits-the-us/
- Firefly Mobile. (Nov. 28, 2011) http://www.fireflymobile.com/
- Gibbs, Nancy. "Second Thoughts About Kids and Cell Phones." Time. March 5, 2009. (Nov. 22, 2011) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1883376,00.html
- Grant, Kelli. "Deciphering Cellphone Family Plans." SmartMoney. Aug. 12, 2010. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/technology/deciphering-cellphone-family-plans/
- Gurian, Anita. "Kids and Cell Phones: Staying Connected." About Our Kids. (Nov. 22, 2011) http://www.aboutourkids.org/articles/kids_cell_phones_staying_connected
- Hanes, Stephanie. "Texting while driving: the new drunk driving." The Christian Science Monitor. Nov. 5, 2009. (Nov. 30, 2011) http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2009/1105/p25s07-usgn.html
- Lenhart, Amanda and Rich Ling, Scott Campbell and Kristen Purcell. "Teens and Mobile Phones." Pew Internet. April 20, 2010. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Teens-and-Mobile-Phones/Chapter-1/The-economics-of-cell-phones--Plan-Types.aspx
- Mom Logic. "Kids and Cell Phones." (Nov. 22, 2011) http://www.momlogic.com/resources/kids_and_cell_phones.php
- Parent Dish. "Kids and Cell Phones: What Parents Need to Know." Feb. 9, 2011. (Nov. 22, 2011) http://www.parentdish.com/2011/02/09/kids-cell-phones/
- Prepaid Reviews. "How Prepaid Cell Service Works." (Nov. 30, 2011) http://www.prepaidreviews.com/howprepaidworks.html
- Scicolone, Alicia. "New report warns that children may absorb more radiation from cell phones than initially thought." News Net 5. Oct. 17, 2011. (Nov. 22, 2011) http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/health/new-report-warns-that-children-may-absorb-more-radiation-from-cell-phones-than-initially-thought
- Walmart. (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.walmart.com/browse/Cell-Phones/Prepaid-Cell-Phones/_/N-7tpbZaq90Zaqce/Ne-2p4j
- Wireless Plans for Kids. "Wireless Plans For Kids." (Nov. 28, 2011) http://wirelessplansforkids.com/