If you're on a budget, the amount of flooring space you want to cover can influence your selection. Carpet is sold in square yards, and most carpets come in 12-foot wide rolls. Follow these steps to estimate square yardage for your home's rooms:
- Measure the length and width of each room in feet. Don't forget closets and hallways if you want them covered.
- Multiply length by width of each room to get square feet. So if the room is 10 feet by 12 feet, multiply 10 by 12, for an area of 120 square feet.
- Add together the square footage for each room.
- Divide that total by nine to get square yards. For example, if the total area is 444 square feet, 444 divided by nine is 49.3 square yards.
- Next, add 10 percent to the square yards for a total amount. The extra helps keep patterns and nap (the fiber tuft orientation) matched up since carpet must be laid in one direction for a uniform appearance, and it allows for room irregularities and hiding seams.
The above steps are merely for an estimate when you're shopping for carpet; a professional installer should take more precise measurements before you make a final purchase.